Going back to a calorie deficit from Keto.

EthanJeremiahsMama
EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, I decided to get off Keto and eat “lower carbs” than I used to prior to Keto. Before I tried Keto, I was eating mainly proteins and whole grains with fruits and veggies. It worked for me as long as I stuck to a calorie deficit, even when not working out as much. I decided to try Keto after I saw a friend who lost a lot of weight and thought to myself wow, the foods she eats actually sounds amazing lol. To make a long story short, I tried it on and off and lost weight — ate tons of healthy fats, protein especially bacon lol and a lot of vegetables. While I did drop water weight quite fast, long term wise I felt it just wasn’t ‘for me.’ I missed fruits, missed my whole grain tortillas, Ezekiel toast and overall other foods / treats I was able to eat. I’ve decided to get off Keto and go back to CICO but my friend told me “even if you eat healthier carbs from whole grains or fruits you’ll gain all the weight back.” Is this true? Has anyone tried Keto then went back to being in a calorie deficit / consuming healthier food whether it was carbs added and gained the weight back?

Any responses are appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I think you'll feel better emotionally because you'll be happier and more satisfied with the foods you'll be adding back into your menu.

As a result, you'll be in a better mindset to handle any fluctuations.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I’ve decided to get off Keto and go back to CICO but my friend told me “even if you eat healthier carbs from whole grains or fruits you’ll gain all the weight back.” Is this true?

You'll regain water weight due to glycogen storage/replenishment. Nothing to worry about...

• eb8566
    eb8566 Posts: 249 Member
    I also would love to go off low carb now and just continue my calorie goals but I’m only 10-15 lbs to goal, it has worked well, and so I keep going. I’m told I should expect 2-3lbs back with glycogen replenishment but I really don’t know. Supposedly it won’t be nearly as much as the beginning water loss because I will be about 75 lbs less and have less retention from other things. I lost 9 in water at the beginning. I would love to hear how this has worked out for everyone. @EthanJeremiahsMama please update if you go forward.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited July 2019
    ... my friend told me “even if you eat healthier carbs from whole grains or fruits you’ll gain all the weight back.” Is this true? Has anyone tried Keto then went back to being in a calorie deficit / consuming healthier food whether it was carbs added and gained the weight back?

Any responses are appreciated. Thanks!

I have tried keto and gone back to a caloric deficit (with more carbs but still low-to-moderate carb) and your friend was wrong in my case -- I did not gain weight back.

Keto works ONLY because it's an easier way of eating to sustain a deficit for some people. Without the deficit, keto doesn't work for weight loss. Any way you sustain a caloric deficit is a way that works for weight loss.

What on earth could be wrong with being fully hydrated? Or fully loaded with glycogen? Those are good things! They make your workouts awesome! I know water weight can be frustrating on the scale, but it's seriously misguided to try to lose water weight for its own sake. (ETA: The only exception I can think of is "making weight" for a competition.)