Is my weight ok?

Options
Hi all,
Height: 5ft 7in
Weight: 192lbs

Is my weight ok for my height and age? I’m looking to lose another 20lbs if I can. Lost 28lbs so far, 3inches off my waist too.

Any advice?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Is my weight ok for my height and age? I’m looking to lose another 20lbs if I can. Lost 28lbs so far, 3inches off my waist too.

Any advice?

Male or female?
  • chrishamilton894
    chrishamilton894 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oops lol male 👍
  • JeDi624
    JeDi624 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Try a BMI Calculator to help with where you should be. It usually is accurate to a few pounds:

https://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html

using this your BMI is 30.1

If you have already lost 20 lbs, you're going in the right direction for sure. If you use the calculator to see where you were before you lost that weight, your BMI would be up around 33.2

If you lose another 20, then it would be 26.9

Play around with it to see what the good zone is. I should ask, are you working with your doctor to establish a proper method of weight loss?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Any advice?

The healthy weight range for your height goes up to 158 lbs. While statistically you are better off getting into that range, whether or not you need to is really only something you and your doctor can decide. You can take into consideration your waist measurement and ratios, blood pressure, blood work, energy level, and ability to physically do the things you want & need to do into consideration along with your weight.

I would say to lose that 20 lbs, then schedule a physical and see what that tells you, then decide from there.
  • chrishamilton894
    Options
    I’m quite muscular I think, I do a lot of weight training at the gym. 2 hour sessions, 3 days a week. I’m not sure if most of my weight is muscle or fat?
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    BMI + wasit to height can be a good indicator of healthy range if that is what your goal is. BMI is not always accurate, but is a good start. For health you would be looking to get your waist to 33" . If you are above that it is probably a good idea to continue on the pathr you are on losing weight.
  • chrishamilton894
    Options
    Just been checking my BMI on the NHS website and yep it’s 30.1
    Still need to lose that 20lbs it seems. Thanks for all your advice 👍
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I’m quite muscular I think, I do a lot of weight training at the gym. 2 hour sessions, 3 days a week. I’m not sure if most of my weight is muscle or fat?
    That's why I think you need to talk to a pro. Arnold in his prime was probably obese if you just go by weight. Maybe they'll get the calipers on you, or use some more technological method, but they'll be able to give you a better answer.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Just been checking my BMI on the NHS website and yep it’s 30.1
    Still need to lose that 20lbs it seems. Thanks for all your advice 👍

While I personally think that BMI is a broadly accurate indicator for most people, the question you ask is why it is useful to cross reference your BMI number using waist measurements and waist to height ratios.

If both your waist and waist to height ratios indicate that you're not overweight then a visual inspection by a health professional may be a good idea so as to have a solid confirmation that you would not benefit from continuing to lose weight.

What matters (and what all these other numbers stand in as easier to determine proxies) is your fat percentage.

Googling around it looks like I run into a new one for me calculator, one that offers some explanations too: https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/Waist_Height
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    What's your waist circumference?
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    My BMI is also 30.1. I want to lose another 40-50+lbs. I’m 5’6” 185 and 55 y/o F.