Need low carb active MFP friends

Hi, I might be a yo-yo dieter. Last year, I lost the weight I wanted to and then stopped tracking on MFP in October and thought I could maintain without it. Wrong!! Last month I was back to the weight I had initially been. After reading books about how bad sugar and processed carbs are, I decided to try a low-carb diet. Just in a few days, l’ve already lost 2 lbs but that is probably water weight. I was surprised by how easy it has been to stay within my calories, eat to satiety without processed carbs and have coffee without sugar! But what is difficult is to feel like I am an odd one for doing this when my teenagers think I’m acting crazy and a husband who is not part of the journey but is supportive.

So I am looking for supportive and active MFP friends who are low carbers so I can feel more motivated. Please add me if you are also on low carb lifestyle :-)

Replies

• TXthunderstorm
    TXthunderstorm Posts: 15 Member
    Greetings! I’m a yo-yo dieter as well and lack the support of a low carb diet. As much as I love my sugars and salts, they are so addictive! Right now the hardest for me is social drinking on the weekends with my bf.
  • cgjerde1
    cgjerde1 Posts: 20 Member
    Good Morning,

I have been making food swaps (low/good carb, low sugar, etc. for processed sugar and high/bad carbs). It's a struggle but have made a lot of progress. I can be a good support if you would like.
  • Me4now2Day
    Me4now2Day Posts: 56 Member
    Good morning,

I just started low carb about three weeks ago. Down about 18 pounds so far. I gave up coffee as well. If you want to add me, feel free. Good luck!
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2 Member
    I’m also doing low carb and started on 1st June. I have lost about 9lbs so it is coming off slowly. I have always counted calories in the past so this is very different. I really miss bread and crisps. I’m eating a lot of olives to replace the crisps. I find it very hard to choose food in a restaurant, especially Italian. I am using Michael Mosleys books to help me.
    Feel free to add me
  • bellesmom84
    bellesmom84 Posts: 15 Member
    I started low carb about 3 months or so and have lost 17lbs so far. I fell off the wagon for about 2 weeks but have started up again this week and am doing good so far! I'm finding it easier to make better food choices now as I've become more accustomed to going without bread and potatoes; potatoes are my fav food! Sometimes I have them but I try not to beat myself up about it. I feel positive about my changes and can see them being long term and not just a means to get the weight off. Good luck! We can do it!
  • twinkley74
    twinkley74 Posts: 7 Member
    I’ve requested to be friends with you all. I’m only on my first week and I am feeling challenged. Restaurants are hard. Went to ihop the other day with my sons and did you know they add wheat batter even to their omelets? I had to ask for omelet with real eggs! Lol. And bread and sweets are my real weaknesses. Especially anything with frosting. Yesterday I talked myself into an avocado toast. I’ll have to do better and reading your success stories makes me feel more motivated. Thanks for sharing!
  • HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    My goal is to keep between 50-80 carbs a day, mostly from vegetables and fruit. Any less and my ketone levels rise dangerously high, any more and my blood glucose goes too high :p
  • KrisChampagne
    KrisChampagne Posts: 12 Member
    I am low carb. Have been since February. I was successful and then I got lazy and stopped tracking. I'm back and I an going to so this. I feel so much better low carb.
  • Scousemaggie
    Scousemaggie Posts: 18 Member
    I need to focus on low carbs too as I've been recently diagnosed as prediabetic. Anyone else on here prediabetic? I would appreciate some guidance and advice
  • KrisChampagne
    KrisChampagne Posts: 12 Member
    Since i posted I have been struggling - today I am doing good. My goal is to get back to 50 carbs a day and then down to 25 net carbs.
  • I started low carb on Monday. So have been at it for 5 days now. My headache has finally subsided. My carbs are lower than 25g net so far. I need to work on getting in more calories though. And sodium. I'm still fine tuning. The weekend is going to be hard though, they always are. But I have my next week planned out, so i should hopefully be good. Anyones free to add me. I dont have many friends on mfp.
  • HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    The think I’m having the most trouble with is potassium—so many of the foods that are high in potassium have too many carbs 😒. What are some of the things you find work best to up potassium?
  • Cranesfan
    Cranesfan Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2019
    I am on low carb and losing 4 lbs a week. Keeping carbs at under 10% and keeping calories at a 1600/day. Black coffee and water for drinks and no sugar Powerade for electrolytes. I have supplements that help me throughout the day. Looking to add friends for support.
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Hi all. I started low carb early July and after about 2 weeks I really got motivated and have been keeping my net carbs below 20g. I have lost 17 lbs so far and feel great. My work team is my support but would love to have some friends here to share with. My family is not on board with me so I’m flying solo at home. Tracking my food has really taught me so much about nutrition and portion control!!