Patience is a Virtue

Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
But it's not my virtue. I want to lose all this weight yesterday.

I'm progressing normally at an average of 2 lbs per week and I'm down quite a bit but I'm still fat and health wise I'm struggling just as much if not more. But where before I heard that I felt sick because I'm fat, I now hear I'm sick because I'm losing fat. Its become very clear I will not be getting any real medical assistance until I'm in the ideal bmi range.

I don't care that becoming thin is slow. I just don't want to die of some untreated illness in the year or two its gonna take to drop another 90 pounds. :(

And no, another doctor is not the answer. God, I've had so many. I have three right now. Useless.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Sub-200 pounds seemed to be the magic threshold for me to move into the realm of medical visibility. Things got even better when my BMI got down to the Overweight range. Normal didn't seem to provide much of a change of attitude compared to Overweight.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    If three doctors are not giving you the answers you want, perhaps the questions are the issue? Don't take offense. I'm a very proactive patient. I go see a doctor and speak their language. As a result, I get the help I need.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    I am an EXTREMELY impatient person. In all things. But when it came to losing weight, I really had to overcome that tendency. Slow and steady wins the race I have discovered.... :/
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    Terytha wrote: »

I'm progressing normally at an average of 2 lbs per week and I'm down quite a bit but I'm still fat and health wise I'm struggling just as much if not more. But where before I heard that I felt sick because I'm fat, I now hear I'm sick because I'm losing fat. Its become very clear I will not be getting any real medical assistance until I'm in the ideal bmi range.

I don't care that becoming thin is slow. I just don't want to die of some untreated illness in the year or two its gonna take to drop another 90 pounds. :(

And no, another doctor is not the answer. God, I've had so many. I have three right now. Useless.

I know how you feel. I had a raging kidney infection- "you pulled a muscle in your back, you'll feel better if you lose weight"- ended up in the hospital with my kidney almost ruptured. I had an ingrown toenail- yes!!! An ingrown toenail and was told I wouldn't have gotten one if not for my weight. Wait... what?
    During my pregnancy with my oldest daughter, I had hyperemesis gravidarum (severe morning sickness, I couldn't hold anything down, including fluids) and ended up losing 60 lbs but was told it was not a problem because I was losing weight 😑 I almost died during childbirth due to heart arrhythmia and low blood pressure from dehydration. The list goes on and on and on.
    Two months ago, I found out I have severe anemia, and was chewed out by a doctor for losing weight. It's a lose/lose situation for me. But hang in there- switch doctors again if you have to. I'm still trying to find one to listen to me.
  • Terytha
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    If three doctors are not giving you the answers you want, perhaps the questions are the issue? Don't take offense. I'm a very proactive patient. I go see a doctor and speak their language. As a result, I get the help I need.

Seriously? The, oh, 20 doctors I've seen in the last 6 years are all too incompetent to hear "I'm sick as hell" and do anything unless I... learn a new language?

Sorry but saying something offensive is not somehow mitigated by saying "no offense." Take your privilege elsewhere thanks.
  • Terytha
    Terytha wrote: »

I know how you feel. I had a raging kidney infection- "you pulled a muscle in your back, you'll feel better if you lose weight"- ended up in the hospital with my kidney almost ruptured. I had an ingrown toenail- yes!!! An ingrown toenail and was told I wouldn't have gotten one if not for my weight. Wait... what?
    During my pregnancy with my oldest daughter, I had hyperemesis gravidarum (severe morning sickness, I couldn't hold anything down, including fluids) and ended up losing 60 lbs but was told it was not a problem because I was losing weight 😑 I almost died during childbirth due to heart arrhythmia and low blood pressure from dehydration. The list goes on and on and on.
    Two months ago, I found out I have severe anemia, and was chewed out by a doctor for losing weight. It's a lose/lose situation for me. But hang in there- switch doctors again if you have to. I'm still trying to find one to listen to me.

I can't switch again. It took ages to find this one. There are no doctors taking patients who aren't pregnant right now. :(