Venting

I have had a "stomach bug" for 3 weeks now. I see my doctor on Monday finally, and only because I scheduled an appointment for a physical and plan to sneak that bit in, because the earliest appointment for a new problem that was available as of a week ago was end of August.

I don't think it's a stomach bug though. Originally it may have been, but at this point I find it hard to believe. I haven't had a solid BM in 3 weeks, but I also can't eat. My goal is ~1800 at a 1,000 cal deficit and for many of the days, I'm lucky if I can get 1,400. (I know that probably sounds silly to some because 1400 is what many of your goals are I'm sure, but I am over 300 pounds so I need a lot of calories to run efficiently.)

Anyway, there have been days where I can eat 1800 and then some - but then days like today where I eat something small (a small roasted chicken sandwich) and feel okay at first, but then gradually more and more full until I literally have to make myself throw up to feel better. If I don't, I am in so much pain that I can't even move without my stomach hurting.

I'm also afraid if I tell my doctor that, she's going to think I have an eating disorder. While I have a history of disordered eating, I am not bulimic and don't purge out of guilt or shame. I'm just trying not to be in pain. I'm sure doing that is somehow making it worse, too.

I'm at a point where I want to say *kitten* it and just stop eating until I see my doctor. I won't, because I know I need calories, but something has to give. Anyway, thanks for listening.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    If you can manage liquids until your appointment Monday, try that . Like Boost or something with some nutrients. You should be able to make it until your appointment. Try to stay hydrated at least. Hope things go well.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. You're all right, of course - I shouldn't put myself in pain for the sake of eating.

@Lillymoo01 I looked it up just now and it definitely does sound like a possibility. It can't hurt to keep the fats low, which should be fairly easy if I do a liquid diet.

@missysippy930 thank you, I was struggling to think of liquids that at least offer nutrients and forgot about Boost. I'll check it out.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Listen to your body. I hope that it's something easily remedied and that you feel better soon. ❤
  • bjkoziara
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Listen to your body. I hope that it's something easily remedied and that you feel better soon. ❤

Thank you! I hope so too, honestly!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Travellers with upset stomachs are advised to drink plenty of fluid and eat small amounts of bland foods for a few days - dry toast, plain boiled rice, dry crackers - just to give you a bit of energy whilst allowing your stomach to recover. Coke (not diet) allowed to go flat, with a pinch of salt in it, also helps. Hope you feel better soon.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    How are you doing?
  • Harebelle
    Harebelle Posts: 41 Member
    Just re-reading your original post, and wondering if you've ever previously had any problems with constipation?

tmi warning: it's possible to get a 'stuck' stool that becomes very dry and impacted somewhere within the colon, and the person then experiences 'overflow diarrhoea' that passes around the blockage.

I hope your doc palpates your abdomen and considers this as one of several possibilities; whatever it turns out to be I hope it's resolved quickly and easily for you.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Is there a walk-in clinic in your area that you might be able to go to, rather than having to wait another 2.5 weeks when you're in pain and can hardly eat? That will be nearly six weeks since your issues started.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    There’s so many things it could be. I’m so glad you’re going to your doctor. Don’t let your doctor blow you off either - advocate for yourself. Bring a friend or family member if you need the support. Stomach issues can be hard to diagnose. It could be anything from gallstones to celiac to lactose intolerance to IBS. I hope your doctor is a good one and takes this seriously. Keep us posted!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Doctor's offices always have open slots in their schedule for emergencies. Tell them to bump you up.
  • bjkoziara
    edited July 2019
    Momjogger wrote: »
    There’s so many things it could be. I’m so glad you’re going to your doctor. Don’t let your doctor blow you off either - advocate for yourself. Bring a friend or family member if you need the support. Stomach issues can be hard to diagnose. It could be anything from gallstones to celiac to lactose intolerance to IBS. I hope your doctor is a good one and takes this seriously. Keep us posted!

Someone mentioned Celiac and my dad has a history of gallstones. I'm already diagnosed with lactose intolerance. You're right, there are soooo many options it could be. Hell, combined with other issues that I have that I have been thinking of as separate, it could even be something like ovarian cancer. So many options.

Like @LyndaBSS said, I may have to talk to someone else because the receptionist that called me was not sympathetic at all. They must have something else.
  • GRNEYEGAL
    GRNEYEGAL Posts: 3 Member
    I had same problem and had to have my gall bladder removed. Feel free to add me.
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    Are ulcers possible? ... I had my first big problem from a very acidic breakfast that wiped me out for a few days, in bed... through reading I learned about alkaline eating ... I went big on cucumbers (filling, low calorie) mixed with other goodies... chick peas, black beans, corn... and walking 1, then 2 hours a day. (I keep Tums around just in case.) Also ended up losing a good amount of weight in a short time.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    If you're lactose intolerant, does boost/ensure not have milk?

Definitely advocate to see another doctor sooner. My gp also has same day emergency appointments if you call first thing in the am.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I think you should call back the clinic and ask to speak with a physician’s assistant, if not the doctor. Explain your situation. That’s too long to have to wait. Did the receptionist indicate why your appointment had to be canceled at the last minute?