Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Net Carb Macro Tracking

FluerizaFlueriza Posts: 2Member, Premium Member Posts: 2Member, Premium Member
I’ve been using MFP to track macros but it’s going by total carbs instead of net carbs. Is there some secret to getting MFP to calculate properly or is this an enhancement opportunity to better support the KETO community?

Replies

• cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 27,971Member Member Posts: 27,971Member Member
    When you search for food you can type "net carbs" into the search box. That's one way, but I don't rely on other peoples' food entries anyway, they still need to be vetted for accuracy the first time I use any entry.

If I can't find one that suits me, I enter a new database item. Once I do that, it's in MY FOODS, entered just the way I like it. Once I use it I can then just add it with one click from my "Recents" list.

This is true for every food and all nutrition parts. I don't trust any items. I check every one. That's the beauty of this website, being able to enter things the way I want them. If you aren't willing to do that then you're going to find a lot of errors (and not just in the fiber/net carbs,) the database is 99% crowd-sourced (created by users.)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    edited July 13
  • FluerizaFlueriza Posts: 2Member, Premium Member Posts: 2Member, Premium Member
    Thank you! I’ll try this but it seems like a lot more work than scanning a code and using that information.
  • NorthCascadesNorthCascades Posts: 8,720Member Member Posts: 8,720Member Member
    MFP is free, but if you don't the way it's set up I'm sure they'll refund your money. 😉

Excel and Google Sheets can be made to do what you want. I used Google Sheets to count calories years ago. It was tedious, but it worked.
  • MikePTYMikePTY Posts: 2,383Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,383Member, Premium Member
    Net carbs are not a universally agreed on thing. So how can they put it? Some diets consider sugar alcohol to not be a net carb, other diets do consider it a net carb. Some diets consider it half a net carb.
  • earlnabbyearlnabby Posts: 7,296Member Member Posts: 7,296Member Member
    Flueriza wrote: »
    Thank you! I’ll try this but it seems like a lot more work than scanning a code and using that information.

Don't just scan a code. The chances that the database will bring up a very inaccurate entry are very high.

MFP is not going to completely overhaul their database for a small minority of members who are following a trendy diet. The information is there. Just change your diary settings to show total carbs and fiber and do a quick 10 second subtraction in your head.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 2,685Member Member Posts: 2,685Member Member
    The advice about not just using a bar code and checking all information the first time you use an entry is right on.

The easiest way to do net carbs if in the US or Canada is just log entries with total carbs and track fiber and do the subtraction in your head. IMO, it's valuable to have the fiber information anyway.