Not sure what to do next

Options
Hi, all. I'm 56 yo, 5'6", 190 lbs. I've lost 8 pounds in the last few months mostly by watching CICO. I stay very active - on any given day I'm constantly doing yard work/gardening, taking long walks, working with/riding my horse, playing ping-pong, keeping up with my house, heavy cleaning, errands, etc. My diet is getting better and better.

I recently completed some Physical Therapy for back problems and Pulmonary Therapy for some lung issues. Both programs were really helpful and I'm more active, breathing better, and in less pain than I've been for several years. I really want to keep up the momentum I gained with those programs.

Both programs had me doing a little bit of weight lifting, squats, and counter push-ups. I've continued with those but I'd like to learn more about gaining strength by doing more weights and core strengthening. I have no idea where to begin. I worry about strengthening some muscles/areas while short-changing others. I worry about my back holding up to everything, because I want to continue all my activities, add some weights, and also add some more cardio. I'm afraid of asking my body for too much, too soon. I also worry about whether I can actually gain muscle and still lose weight, especially at my age, and I'm not sure if I need more protein than the 50-60 grams I usually eat every day.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction? I guess what I'm looking for is something like "Strength Training For Dummies Who Are Also Seniors And Have No Clue." Any suggestions, including books and videos, would be welcome. Thanks to all who read this long post!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to do links when posting on my phone, but go to the Gaining Weight sub forum here and click on the Most Helpful Posts thread pinned to the top of the forum. There's a thread called Which Program is Right For You. There are lots of beginner programs linked to there, including some that are just bodyweight or dumbbells that you can do at home.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    A good program for older folks is the book "New Rules of Lifting for Life". It's not in the "Most Helpful Posts" thread, but it should be. There's also a simple program linked in my profile which is designed for all ages.

You should get your doctor's approval before doing any strength program.

Yes, a little more protein will help.. especially with your activity level.

By the way, if you're trying to improve the appearance of your abs, realize that exercises don't spot-reduce the fat layer. It's usually best to follow a strength program without modifying it. :+1:
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Read up on https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#gref . They also have an app you can track your progress on, videos on how to do the exercise properly - and the best part is that you are in and out of the gym in 30 minutes, so you don't feel like you're dedicating your life to it, it's just a quick part to your day and you can go on your merry way doing all the other things you enjoy doing!
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to spot-reduce or anything silly like that. At 56 and happily married for 20 years, I'm far more interested in my health than my looks! :D My only goal at this point is to be as physically and mentally healthy, alert, and strong as possible as I age.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started at 59 with 150 to lose (which I did) and various musculoskeletal issues. I started strength training day 1 and have continued for 5 years. Start where you are now and keep progressing. No, don’t be crazy about it, but gently push yourself and your body will do more than you ever imagined. I worked with a trainer for the first 2.5 years so I’ll let others recommend specific programs.
  • MollyJE19
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I started at 59 with 150 to lose (which I did) and various musculoskeletal issues. I started strength training day 1 and have continued for 5 years. Start where you are now and keep progressing. No, don’t be crazy about it, but gently push yourself and your body will do more than you ever imagined. I worked with a trainer for the first 2.5 years so I’ll let others recommend specific programs.

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for your encouragement.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    MollyJE19 wrote: »
    Hi, all. I'm 56 yo, 5'6", 190 lbs. I've lost 8 pounds in the last few months mostly by watching CICO. I stay very active - on any given day I'm constantly doing yard work/gardening, taking long walks, working with/riding my horse, playing ping-pong, keeping up with my house, heavy cleaning, errands, etc. My diet is getting better and better.

I recently completed some Physical Therapy for back problems and Pulmonary Therapy for some lung issues. Both programs were really helpful and I'm more active, breathing better, and in less pain than I've been for several years. I really want to keep up the momentum I gained with those programs.

Both programs had me doing a little bit of weight lifting, squats, and counter push-ups. I've continued with those but I'd like to learn more about gaining strength by doing more weights and core strengthening. I have no idea where to begin. I worry about strengthening some muscles/areas while short-changing others. I worry about my back holding up to everything, because I want to continue all my activities, add some weights, and also add some more cardio. I'm afraid of asking my body for too much, too soon. I also worry about whether I can actually gain muscle and still lose weight, especially at my age, and I'm not sure if I need more protein than the 50-60 grams I usually eat every day.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction? I guess what I'm looking for is something like "Strength Training For Dummies Who Are Also Seniors And Have No Clue." Any suggestions, including books and videos, would be welcome. Thanks to all who read this long post!

First, I don't think weight is an issue. I'm 74 and have lost 50 pounds plus gained both strength and fitness in the last year. (I also ride my horse daily)

With back issues, I would really suggest working with a knowledgable professional (maybe a physical therapist or athletic trainer) to set up a weight program. The last thing you would want to do is set yourself back with a back injury.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist gave me resistance bands and a workout to follow at home. Can you meet with yours again and have them give you exercises to continue training at home?
  • MollyJE19
    Options
    [quote="jan110144;c-43935142"
    First, I don't think weight is an issue. I'm 74 and have lost 50 pounds plus gained both strength and fitness in the last year. (I also ride my horse daily)

With back issues, I would really suggest working with a knowledgable professional (maybe a physical therapist or athletic trainer) to set up a weight program. The last thing you would want to do is set yourself back with a back injury. [/quote]

That's incredible! A year ago I thought I'd have to give up horseback riding for good. I'm getting more inspired! I have actually considered a trainer, but money is an issue.
  • MollyJE19
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    My physical therapist gave me resistance bands and a workout to follow at home. Can you meet with yours again and have them give you exercises to continue training at home?

He did give me some and I have been doing them. His focus was on teaching me which muscles were actively involved in my pain and how to stretch and strengthen them without overdoing it. I'm just looking to go further now.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    A lot of the clientele where I do strength training are... older than me. A lot of what they talk about is sarcopenia and using 'resistance training' as a primary means of avoiding age-related disease. You're on the right track.