Nike 15K Training Plan

Options
oocdc2
oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
Has anyone here completed the plan? (https://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/running/nike-run-club/training-plans/15k)

I'm on the third week and feel like I'm making progress, but I wondered if anyone out there had worked through it.

(I have a 15K trail run scheduled for Sept.; I'm training so I don't die in the attempt...)

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Depending on your goals, the Nike plans aren't bad. I find them a little too aggressively oriented around intervals and speedwork but there's nothing wrong with that per se.

Theoretically you can train for a 15K with 100% easy mileage if your goal is just to finish (or maybe one tempo run per week on top of easy distance).

Also, make sure you train trails. Running trails is quite different from road running. Your pacing will be completely different and you'll need to learn & get used to the technical aspects of trail running.

If you have to prioritize aspects of your training for a trail 15K, I would probably go with 1.) endurance 2.) technical trail running, and lastly, 3.) speed.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I agree with @DX2JX2 on all of that, especially that you should do some trail running since it is a very different experience. I personally like the emphasis on speedwork (I'm pretty slow, and it's definitely had an effect on my pace). I'm about halfway through a custom 10k to half marathon program on Nike Run Club, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.