Help! Fell off of track and can't seem to get back on

Options
I used to be so good about what I ate. I used to eat clean and stay within my limit everyday. Then one day I just decided to have a couple sweets and BAM! Major binge that day. Ever since then it has been back and forth dieting. "Oh I'll just start over tomorrow." I've been saying that for almost a month now. I don't know how to get back on track. I used to be the person that would say no to dessert while everyone else has it. Now I get dessert or eat sweets any chance I get. I really need to get back on track...

Replies

• aliciaconcha90
    Options
    Don't worry about you falling off track..just get back up..and continue. Don't give up!
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You didn't fall off the track, you just found something that didn't work for you.

Did you try to change too many things at once? ("I'll work out everyday, eat perfectly, train for the Olympics and become a doctor?") Just pick one thing.

Remind yourself of the "Why" behind your efforts. Why are you on this journey? Write it down - refresh your motivations.

What is your next meal? Lunch? Dinner? (Not tomorrow - TODAY!) What has worked in the past for your next meal? Do that. The most important meal is the next one. Plan your next meal NOW. Pre-log what you're going to eat.

I've been where you are recently, and I couldn't even plan for tomorrow, so I've just focused on the next meal. (And for sweet cravings, I'll have a boiled egg or some form of protein FIRST, and it often goes away. You'll have to find what works for you.)

You're not alone feeling this way - you can do this!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You didn't fall off the track, you just found something that didn't work for you. What is your next meal? Lunch? Dinner? (Not tomorrow - TODAY!) What has worked in the past for your next meal? Do that. The most important meal is the next one. Plan your next meal NOW.

I've been where you're at recently, and I couldn't even plan for tomorrow, so I've just focused on the next meal. (And for sweet cravings, I'll have a boiled egg or some form of protein FIRST, and it often goes away. You'll have to find what works for you.)

I very much like this way of thinking about it.
  • emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm like you. Sugar is like a drug to me. I've been drinking Shakeology every morning and honestly, it's really helped curb the sugar cravings for me. It's like I get a chocolate shake every morning and then my mind and body tells me I'm good the rest of the day. Just like a drug addict or alcoholic, I find I do the best when I just stay completely away from sugar (except in natural forms like honey or fruit).

As you know, a few days after quitting sugar you will start to overcome the cravings. All I can say is I have yo-yo dieted my entire adult life and I would just encourage you to get back on track ASAP. If you have a bad day, don't let it turn into a bad week, a bad month or a bad year. Try not to be so hard on yourself. We are only human. Best of luck to you!
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I just had my first major binge day yesterday since starting MFP. My meals were fine, but I was snacking like crazy throughout the day.

And you know what? It's fine. Life didn't end. The world didn't stop. For one day I did nothing to further the cause of my weight loss goals. Tomorrows another day.

In America passing and failing are beaten into out psychology from birth. Get out of that mind set. Life isn't Pass/Fail. It's an adventure. And the bad days are just as important as the good. They usually teach us more about ourselves.

You can do this. If it's just a desire for snacks and sweets; figure out how to work them into your goals. If you're using food to cope with stress or something like that. Go find someone to help you work that out.

You can do this!
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just like a drug addict or alcoholic, I find I do the best when I just stay completely away from sugar (except in natural forms like honey or fruit).

As you know, a few days after quitting sugar you will start to overcome the cravings.

^^ This!

I admire those who say they include a little in their diet every day (dark chocolate, etc.); I can't - sugar seems to be a trigger for me, too.
  • LadynNY
    LadynNY Posts: 2
    Options
    Try doing something that pushes the "reset button". Drive home a different way, catch the bus instead of driving, go to an event you would not normally attend, stay with a friend or family member for a week or even a few days and use that time to refocus. Take yourself out of your usual environment. Push the limits of your comfort zone. Change things up for a while.Take the time away from your usual day to day activities.

We all get ourselves into habits or routines. If we walk down the same path day after day turning right at the fork in the road every time we end up at the same place every time. But if get on that path and take a left at the fork one day, we've changed something. The opportunity now exists to end up in a different place.

Getting out of a routine is about change. A small change can make a big difference. Try it. Sleep on the side of the bed you don't usually sleep on. Paint your nails a color you never dared to before...you get the idea. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll begin to remember that you can do this. Because you CAN do this. Push the reset button kid...and don't look back.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Getting out of a routine is about change. A small change can make a big difference.

I like that advise. Hope I remember it in my next time of need.