1500 Calories

Options
Hey everyone. I’m 5’11” and I’m 340 pounds. How much weight do you think I’d lose on a 1500 calorie died per week?

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Short answer: around 3 pounds of fat per week, plus some initial debloating (water loss) in the first couple/few weeks, most of which will occur in the first 3-4 days. You might well see 10 or 12 pounds in the first 2 weeks (but only 6 of it'll be "real" weight loss -- i.e. fat loss). If you were eating a carb-heavy diet right before you suddenly start eating 1500, you might also see another 2-3 lbs gone from additional water release, but again, it's the same 6 lbs of fat burned. You won't be able to keep up that pace for long.

Longer answer:

I started around where you are now, height and weight wise. I've lost ~ 45 lbs so far & seem to be going strong with a workable program. My TDEE when I started was 2900, and that's probably around what yours is. 1500 sounds great in theory, but it's a 1400 calorie deficit and that's just too punishing. If you're like me, you'll probably go ahead with it anyway and do it for 2 weeks no matter what advice you get, and there's nothing wrong with that, it'll put some quick wins up on the board. Just be ready to back off that soon and bump it up to around 2,000 calories (as NovusDies says above) so you can live with your diet over time. You've got probably a year and a half of calorie deficit eating ahead of you; you won't be able to see that through by depriving yourself of so much food every day. It's the old sprint vs. pace yourself conundrum.

And be sure to get some exercise. Be gentle on yourself. I know when I started, it was 4-5 minutes/day on an exercise machine. I've worked up to 35 uninterrupted minutes per day, 6 days/wk, but it took time to get there. Don't overdo it, but also don't procrastinate about it. Exercise is important for people who are 100+ lbs overweight & will have an outsided impact on your weight loss efforts especially at first. It really makes a huge difference - even a few minutes per day at first.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Losing fat too quickly will make u end up with loose skin, if u have patience i recommend u losing weight slowly and better if u exercise along with it.
    Just an opinion =)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    As you read this, mentally substitute "Men" for "Ladies/Women" and "1500" for "1200" https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/