Baby boy name

Options
smartin1450
smartin1450 Posts: 6 Member
We both love the name Remy for our future son, but last name is Martin. Do you think it is well known enough that he would be associated with the cognac? I don’t think so, but my partner disagrees.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If you love a name, go for it. That said, don't ever saddle your child with a name that almost guarantees schoolyard bullying.

In other words, don't pull a Kim Kardashian. 😬
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I kinda thing that any name potentially guarantees a child with bullying; if you’re particularly worried though make it a middle name and try to find another one.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Only with people over a certain age. Like me. I thought of it but I doubt the kids he grows up with will make the connection.

My son and daughter in law named their son Tyla and now spend a lot of time correcting people who call him Tyler. Names can be tricksy.

I think you should call him what you like. Remy is a great name. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I think it's one of those things that some people will notice, even younger generations, but it will be a fleeting "ahh like the cognac" thing, not a finger-pointing, laughing, "WOW Your actual name is Dolly Parton!?" kind of thing.

Also good that it's not a drink that (as far as I'm aware) is associated with certain negative behavior...like Mogen David or even Hennessy, Alize, etc. Some of those names really don't do the kid any favors but Remy is a nice name IMO, and Martin's so super common that a lot of people will not even bat an eye.

ETA: how about Remington nickname Remy? Just another idea.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Go for it.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Dover
  • mermaidsgrave
    mermaidsgrave Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I didn’t make the drink association until after you said it... but I know so many baby girls called Remy in the last few years, I’d be more concerned that there will be girls in his class with the same name. (Although it works for Taylor/Jordan etc)
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you should pass. I now know two kids whose parents have the last name Jones and have named their son/daughter "Indiana."

This name will never NOT be a joke. As much as I like the parents I feel deeply sorry for the children.

Remy Martin, will it be as bad as Indiana Jones? Probably not.

This is something that I did with naming all my offspring. I sat down with each name I was considering and said to myself, "How do I picture my son or daughter in the future with this name as an adult? Does it still sound good? Does it still fit?" If the answer was "yes" then the name was a contender.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I didn’t make the drink association until after you said it... but I know so many baby girls called Remy in the last few years, I’d be more concerned that there will be girls in his class with the same name. (Although it works for Taylor/Jordan etc)

This was something that I also took into consideration when I was naming my sons and daughter.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    My wife wanted to give our son a biblical name, so I suggested: Pontius Pilate.

For whatever crazy reason, it fell victim to her veto.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some rapper will make a song about Remy Martin soon enough and it'll be a huge hit in the clubs/IG stories. In fact, there IS a rapper named Remy Martin... so there ya go.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    I'm sure some rapper will make a song about Remy Martin soon enough and it'll be a huge hit in the clubs/IG stories. In fact, there IS a rapper named Remy Martin... so there ya go.

I suppose, y'all can put this one down as another 'yes!' vote.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    First thought was 'that is a brand of alcohol', didn't remember what one tho 'till you told us.

I wouldn't

I can think of some people with 'cheesy' names (imo) because when I hear them they seem cliche, trite...or just silly

...the person who suggested middle name - that's a good idea. Or switch last names or hyphenate both of yours?

Like how do you feel about "Jack Daniels" or "Tom Collins"...or like "Sunny Moon"?

...I have some other examples, but dont feel comfortable sharing because I know these people and feel sorry for them having their names and the "double entendres", (for lack of a better phrase).

Random...hmm, what is the phrase for that in english?
    ...funny how some phrases make more sense or are better understood in another language
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. Nor would I call my kid Jack Daniels, Johnnie Walker, George Dickel, or Jim Beam.

But if you love Remy, you could always use it as a middle name.

Instead I suggest you go with your second choice...Aston Martin.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Remy Martin is a cognac and a trashy female rapper, I personally wouldn’t do it but it does sound nice.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    My wife wanted to give our son a biblical name, so I suggested: Pontius Pilate.

For whatever crazy reason, it fell victim to her veto.
    😂 and you washed your hands of it
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Just FYI my intials are LSD. My dad told my mom in the late 70's not to do it, b/c ppl would always associate LSD with the drug. She said that was a 60's drug that noone remember.

She was wrong and ppl often asked me about it...I told them that my mom was a hippie or Deadhead. That really irritated her.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Remy Martin is a cognac and a trashy female rapper, I personally wouldn’t do it but it does sound nice.

yikes, I'd take this name off the table knowing that.