How to be more toned?

Options
jennywilloo
jennywilloo Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone,

I've been on my fitness journey since November 2018. From exercising regularly and eating clean, I have seen changes to my body. Here is me in August 2018 vs me now.
2jy6fdb5njyu.jpg
yvvlg4oemfyt.jpg

Like many people, my main goal is to become more toned. I lead a healthy life style with no smoking, minimal drinking (once a month), and I go to the gym 2-3 times a week. I have a fibre and protein rich diet, and incorporate all the important food groups into my diet. I am also mindful of sugar content, rarely ever eat anything considered 'bad', and I count my calories daily on this app. Usually, I am eating 1600-1800 calories a day.

I tried a calorie deficit from around March-June this year and had noticed my weight increasingly dropped, but not to a level I wanted, I was beginning to become bony. However, I noticed that my stomach did not change drastically unlike the rest of my body, i.e shoulders, arms, and legs that had lost the most weight. I am just wondering why this is, what is it that I am doing wrong exactly? I am currently having a daily intake of 2200 calories (not junk food) in order to gain some of this weight back, and I just need some advice with achieving a flatter/toned stomach in the healthiest way possible.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• jennywilloo
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you lost weight without proper strength training and protein to spare muscle, then you may have lost more muscle than you wanted and ended up with a body composition you weren't as pleased with.

What are your stats? Are you still trying to gain weight? Make sure you are following a progressive lifting program while you do to gain muscle. If you aren't underweight or close you can also recomp .. eating at maintenance to lose fat and gain muscle over time. Again lifting and adequate protein will be key.

Also clean/bad/junk calories don't affect body composition as much as you would think.. provided you are getting adequate protein, fat.. and hitting your calorie goal and it's not affecting your workouts or sleep.. obviously I would recommend a mostly nutritious diet, nothing wrong with treats in moderation.

Currently, I'm 8 stone 8lbs, and on average I'm eating about 90g of protein a day.

I have gained some of the weight back that I have lost and will be soon going back to my regular 1600-1800 calorie intake to maintain this. Thanks for your advice :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    What do you do at the gym? Are you following a progressive lifting program?
  • jennywilloo
    Options
    I do an hour of cardio, consisting of the ski machine, rowing machine, bikes, treadmill, then half an hour of small 6kg weights and core exercises including leg raises, bicycle crunches, and flutter kicks. I've yet to try a progressive lifting program
  • jennywilloo
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What do you do at the gym? Are you following a progressive lifting program?

I do an hour of cardio, consisting of the ski machine, rowing machine, bikes, treadmill, then half an hour of small 6kg weights and core exercises including leg raises, bicycle crunches, and flutter kicks. I've yet to try a progressive lifting program