Eating back calories?

Options
Should you eat back the colories you burn from working out?

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, MFP is designed for you to eat back at least half, especially if you are eating as little as 1200 (not saying that you are, but iF you are).
  • meganhirschi31886
    meganhirschi31886 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't have my intake that low. But thank you for clarifying that for me cuz I am struggling to eat my regular intake cals somedays let alone any of my exercise cals.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't have my intake that low. But thank you for clarifying that for me cuz I am struggling to eat my regular intake cals somedays let alone any of my exercise cals.

What are your stats OP? What is your goal? If you are truly struggling to eat your daily calorie allowance then try adding more calorie dense food, nuts and nut butters, full fat dairy foods, heck even a bit of cake or chocolate, 😁 And yes, eat a good proportion of your exercise calories too 👍
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    MFP uses a NEAT system, which doesn't account for any deliberate exercise over and above your activity level setting (ie, sedentary). The calories from any exercise you do that falls outside of that are meant to be eaten back. As mentioned before, there is some wiggle room depending on how accurate the reported burns are for you (which is basically trial and error), but you should be eating back most of them most likely. I'm currently training for a half marathon, so on my long runs, I can easily burn 1200+ calories. That's over half my daily intake, so if I wasn't eating those back, I'd be getting a net of about 800 calories that day, which isn't nearly enough (and I would be ravenous to boot).
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I burn A LOT of calories working out and I eat them back depending on 1. if not doing so is going to net me under 1000. or 2. I'm hungry. If I feel like eating, I take those extra calories and I eat.
  • justanotherjenn
    justanotherjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat at least half of mine most days. I will eat them all on days when I'm super hungry.

Do you have a fitness tracker for your exercise? That's probably the most accurate way to know how many calories you have burned (approximately).

I have a Fitbit, but I only wear it during workouts.. so I'm not including just regular activity/steps throughout the day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    When I’ve eaten back the calories I’ve burned, I did not lose at all that week. So, I do not eat them back now. If I happen to go over my calorie limit for the day, it’s fine to have the exercise calories burned as a cushion. It’s just not a goal to eat them back, unless maintenance is the goal.

Often when we look at the food diaries of people who use exercise calories as a cushion we learn that they are making logging errors that lead them to be eating more than they think. These people can indeed continue to not eat exercise calories, or they can tighten up their logging and eat back exercise calories, as the tool was designed.

MFP also assumes accurate food logging, but that can take some practice. Many of us have a sad when we get a food scale and see how meager a tablespoon of peanut butter really is. I stopped making my peanut butter and banana smoothies not long after getting a food scale.
  • warukimedesu
    warukimedesu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Isn't the idea of calorie counting to actually at least try to estimate all significant calorie needs?

Yes. Based on my age, height, current weight, activity level, etc., my TDEE is around 2300 cals per day. This amount already includes an estimate of my daily energy expenditure from exercise.
    Isn't the idea of a goal (your chosen calorie balance) actually to hit that goal not undercut it?needs?

I guess it depends on your approach. If by chosen "calorie balance", you mean my estimated TDEE, that's not my goal. I want to lose weight, so my goal is 20% below my TDEE, and I do try to hit that goal. And in doing so, I'm not eating back calories from working out, as I originally mentioned to the OP.
    Isn't the idea of selecting a tool to do a job to actually use the tool as it was designed to be used?

Am I not using the tool correctly?