Measurements or scale?

Options
What do think is the most effective way to gauge your weight loss/fitness goals? Measuring tape or the scales? Or other methods?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Both. Neither is bulletproof so a combo of checks and balances helps keep things in perspective.
    Fitness goals are measured by how well you’re able to do what your goal activities are. Can I walk run swim or bike faster or longer? Can I lift more or more reps? How am I doing on the intermediate progressive steps etc?
  • jessiedawn8400
    jessiedawn8400 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with using both the scales and measurements. Sometimes they don't move at the same time and only using one can get discouraging. My scale has moved 27 pounds, but the areas I seem to be measuring aren't the ones where its coming from, so my measurements haven't really changed much. If I only went by the tape, I'd be extremely frustrated. For my fitness goals, I focus on how I am progressing or the things I am able to achieve now.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    They are both good tools for measuring weight loss progress.

Other good methods for weight loss and fitness for me have been:
    • Progress pictures - helps determine actual body composition progress
    • Fit of clothes - helps determine progress when the scale may not due to other factors (water weight)
    • Resting Heart Rate - shows improvement in cardio health
    • Personal Bests - improvement in cardio exercises (longer or faster runs/cycles/swims)/strength training (easier bodyweight exercises/less modifications/higher weights/more reps).

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I do measurements monthly.