Can this be right or is this exaggerated

nasr25
nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
Hello let me start off by giving you my stats I am a male 26 years old 292 pounds and I haven’t worked out in a while. I went for a walk today and when I got done I checked my Garmin stats and it says I burned 587 calories this was a 43 min walk and average hr was 134 bpm average speed was 2.3 mph. My garmin watch is working properly I know that for sure cause I have tested it but could I have really burned that much ??? Seems high. Please give me your thoughts.

Replies

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Is that your total calories for that 43 min? It may be adding the calories you burn doing nothing.
  • nasr25
    No I had activity tracker on so it was only for the activity . So I looked at my garmin connect app to check for workout stats and this was only for the 43min. Even subtracting 120 for the calories I would have burned anyway still seems high.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Was this just your pedometer or did you do a GPS tracking on it? around 300 calories would be the expected burn from just the exercise. If this was a pedometer then i9f you looked a the calories before you started and calories after it would be calculating your exercise burn + your standard burning form being alive. For that 592 makes sense. In other word if you just sat on the couch for 45 min you would have burned 300 calories, but with your walk you burned 300+300 (rounded numbers).
  • nasr25
    g5uhixesg6ar.jpeg
  • nasr25
    I did gps tracking on it. And I saved the activity after I got done. It could be that this is a total of tdee calories and calories burned but I was under the assumption that when you start a workout with the forerunner 235 it just shows excessive calories
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    It seems a little high to me. I ran it through a couple of calculators based on your stats and came up with closer to 300 calories. You might want to check your settings and see if something is set funky.
  • nasr25
    so i checked a couple hr based calorie burn calculators online with my stats and it does give me 600 calories on both but when I use regular calculators using only height age and weight under walking the calorie burn is much lower. Idk which to believe but I guess its better to stay on the safe side.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    nasr25 wrote: »
    so i checked a couple hr based calorie burn calculators online with my stats and it does give me 600 calories on both but when I use regular calculators using only height age and weight under walking the calorie burn is much lower. Idk which to believe but I guess its better to stay on the safe side.

I think your HR is why it gave you such a high estimates burn. You should see what my watch gives me when I go to the amusement park with my kids!

As you become more fit, your heart rate will come down during your walks.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    nasr25 wrote: »
    Hello let me start off by giving you my stats I am a male 26 years old 292 pounds and I haven’t worked out in a while. I went for a walk today and when I got done I checked my Garmin stats and it says I burned 587 calories this was a 43 min walk and average hr was 134 bpm average speed was 2.3 mph. My garmin watch is working properly I know that for sure cause I have tested it but could I have really burned that much ??? Seems high. Please give me your thoughts.

As comment above explains - no.

You could use Garmin's manual entry with distance and time to over-write what it came up with.
    Since it's calculating GROSS calories for that chunk of time - it should be higher compared to the smaller NET calories calculated.

Since Garmin is a replace-only system, you need Gross.
    If you only used MFP by itself, NET would be better.

Eventually you'll get in shape enough that walking probably won't elevate the HR enough for it to use HR-based calorie burn, and it'll stick to distance/time based (calculated from your steps like it does for the daily stuff) in which case you can
  • nasr25
    thanks for the help i am just gonna use myfitnesspal calculator and eat like half those back and just use my watch as a pedometer.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Wolfram Alpha gives 1151 kJ which is 274 calories https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=male+walking+2.3+mph,+292+lb,+43+min