New to Quinoa--what is your fav. recipe using it?

Options
Kimberrh6
Kimberrh6 Posts: 77 Member
I've never tried quinoa before and am intimidated by it. How do you fix it?

Replies

• Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do sort of a 'southwestern quinoa' but don't have a recipe really, so I'll give the you jist.

Rinse the quinoa, put water and quinoa in saucepan (2 parts water to 1 part quinoa) and bring to boil, reduce, cover and simmer. Stir frequently so it won't stick to your saucepan. It normally takes about 20 minutes to absorb most of the water - you'll see a ring around the quinoa as it soaks up the water and cooks. - While it's boiling I add minced garlic and chili powder

Once it's cooked, you can mix in whatever. I put in precooked fake chicken, fresh mozzarella shredded, black beans, onions and then mix salsa into the whole thing.

I've also done a 'caprese' verison with basil, big chunks of mozzarella and cherry tomatoes and serve it cold.
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    Some quinoa you can buy is pre-soaked, and some isn't - so if you make some and it ends up with a bitter flavor, it needs to be soaked for several hours (a lot of people just do it overnight). Usually the stuff you buy in bulk at the health food store needs to be soaked. If you cook it in a rice cooker, you won't need to pre-soak it in my experience.

Otherwise, really, I just use it as a rice substitute. I make a standard fried "rice" like you normally would - just add your cooked quinoa, chicken, pork, shrimp, vegetables, soy sauce, whatever to a pan. Only difference is to cook the egg separately from the quinoa instead of breaking it in the pan, it binds up strangely for some reason.

^^Totally going to try that southwestern quinoa, sounds yummy!
  • Sevio
    Sevio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Tons of Quinoa recipes on Pinterest! I love it!! So versatile. I have replaced rice with it. Usually I cook some up for the week, add precooked chicken, and veggies with maybe a little teriyaki sauce and it's easy and yummy!
  • tinyfitlauren
    Options
    Google "Skinnytaste Mediterannean Quinoa", its really light and fresh tasting while still being satisfying. I make it all the time!

For something more substantial I make 1 cup of quinoa (turns into 3 cups), dress the quinoa in a dressing of honey, lemon, and olive oil (1 tbsp olive oil, equal parts honey and lemon, I use 2 tbs each, until desired flavor), salt and pepper, then add 1/3 cup dried cranberries, 1 apple cut into cubes, 1/4 cup slivered almonds, 1/4 cup cilantro.
    - I will alter this one sometimes by replacing the lemon with balsamic vinegar and adding jarred sun dried tomatoes

ETA: My sister makes an AMAZING quinoa by using chicken broth (vegetable broth also works) instead of water to cook it. Then add whatever you feel like. Super flavorful and delicious :)
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've taken to just chucking a cup of it in to any curries or morrocan casserole I make in the crock pot. Makes a total meal in one and adds a really lovely nutty flavour and interesting texture.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
  • tinyfitlauren
    Options
    I've taken to just chucking a cup of it in to any curries or morrocan casserole I make in the crock pot. Makes a total meal in one and adds a really lovely nutty flavour and interesting texture.

Great idea!!
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite:

http://practicalcookingforone.com/2012/03/06/shrimp-fried-quinoa/

I do break the egg right into the pan and I've never had an issue with doing it that way.

I also like this recipe:

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/quinoa-patties

And this one, although I didn't follow the recipe exactly, just the overall concept:

http://www.recipebyphoto.com/quinoa-stuffed-peppers/
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I came into this thread to recommend the skinny taste Mediterranean recipe, and someone beat me to it! So, I'll second it. I make it several times a week as lunches!
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Cook quinoa. Let cool. Mix together with:

feta
    diced kalamata olives
    chopped scallions
    chopped/diced tomatoes
    olive oil
    parsley (dried or fresh)
    salt
    pepper

Eat.

EDIT: Just realized this is similar to the skinny taste one. I personally like scallions more than red peppers, but that's just me.
  • Ldenzel
    Ldenzel Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a Mexican Quinoa:

http://kitchensimplicity.com/mexican-quinoa-with-lazy-guacamole/

It is so easy to make and so good! We started making it instead of our normal "Taco Tuesday". :bigsmile:
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just stick it in the rice cooker.
    Cook it like rice.

Dump ketchup all over it and eat it.
  • Kimberrh6
    Options
    I just looked up the Skinnytaste Mediterannean Quinoa Salad and it sounds amazing! Thanks for all the ideas! Quinoa will be conquered! :)
  • Kimberrh6
    Options
    Yummy!!
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I cook quinoa in our rice cooker. SO easy! Prices vary by a lot. We try to buy at Costco. I agree with tons of recipes on Pinterest and agree with chicken stock/broth/bouillon.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it I should have added a cup to the Pineapple Chicken recipe from here that I cooked in the crock pot yesterday instead of serving it with rice.

Next time! For the record, that chicken dish is GOOD (I added an onion for crunch but otherwise exactly to the recipe).
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Would you guys say it is similar to couscous or bulgar wheat?
  • brandil74
    brandil74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I make stuffed peppers with it. I use Quinoa and Turkey instead of rice and beef.
  • xlipservicex
    xlipservicex Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I usually cook a bunch on the weekend and then we use it to make "fried rice"

We cook chicken strips with a pile of veggies and add the quinoa and some soy sauce and cook until it's hot. Super yum!

My best friend also eats quinoa instead of oatmeal because she's vegan and it's higher in protein than oatmeal! so you can have it for breakfast too!