Exercising after a car accident

Last week I broke my ankle in a car accident and have some bruised ribs. I just wanted to know if there are some safe upper body exercises I could be doing while my ankle is heeling.

Replies

• paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    I have resistance bands that I bought from Academy Sports for rehab exercises of the shoulders. They may work for you. Add me as a friend if you like. Good Luck!! Hope you didn't suffer too bad with the recent Tropical Storm
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Given that you have bruised ribs, upper body exercises may not be safe right now at all. You need to ask your doctor what activities are safe for your injuries.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Get doctor's clearance FIRST.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Broken ribs are terrible. They hurt so much, and then every time you sneeze out cough it's pain, and for weeks! I get cabin fever like crazy, and I didn't even want to move. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope they gave you strong meds.

If you live in a flat place, you can look into renting a recumbent bike. There are one legged cyclists.
  • TheAssyrian
    TheAssyrian Posts: 26 Member
    Lnn1986 wrote: »
    Last week I broke my ankle in a car accident and have some bruised ribs. I just wanted to know if there are some safe upper body exercises I could be doing while my ankle is heeling.

Don't. Do not work out after a car accident. Many of the injuries do not show themselves for weeks and some months after. Let your ankle heal for a little bit and make sure your head is ok. Neck and back pain comes on a little ways after an accident so you need to focus on recovery.
    My wife got in a bad accident last December and is still suffering from new pains showing up. Please be careful and take care of your body. Consult a doctor
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Sorry :(

Ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist who can help you.