Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Words or phrases that did not exist 30 years ago

Options

Replies

• MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member
    Options
    A kid saying “But I don’t want to play outside!”
    “I have to get a Starbucks”
    “I’m here for it”
    “AF” As in “I’m tired AF right now”
    “What in the actual F$&! Is going on?”
    “I’ll just get it on Amazon”
    “Netflix and chill”
  • s1im62
    s1im62 Posts: 29,241 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    “I’m here for it”
    “Netflix and chill”

Good ones! Although as a kid growing up in the 1960s in Alabama I did say “But I don’t want to play outside!” sometimes, especially on hot August days after getting home from our non-airconditioned grade-school. :)

"Google it!"
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've gotta say, I can remember in high school in the 90s (20-25 years ago, not quite 30 years) people saying AF (the actual words "as f---", not typing it on anything as A.F. though), baby mommy, baby daddy, boo, "I got you", saying something was "lit", etc. But I find it absolutely hilarious how that was a very select few people who said it - kids who were into rap and drug subculture mostly - and now every random middle aged person is putting this stuff on facebook captioning their vacation pictures. So cringeworthy to me.

Sort of unrelated, but I remember several years ago, some random magazine (may have been Redbook? Better Homes & Gardens, something along those lines not even a teen mag) had a tiny photo of Audrey Hepburn and beneath her it said "Classy A.F." and I almost died laughing. What on Earth!? My husband says they probably thought it stands for "and fancy".
  • MelG7777
    Options
    I've gotta say, I can remember in high school in the 90s (20-25 years ago, not quite 30 years) people saying AF (the actual words "as f---", not typing it on anything as A.F. though), baby mommy, baby daddy, boo, "I got you", saying something was "lit", etc. But I find it absolutely hilarious how that was a very select few people who said it - kids who were into rap and drug subculture mostly - and now every random middle aged person is putting this stuff on facebook captioning their vacation pictures. So cringeworthy to me.

Sort of unrelated, but I remember several years ago, some random magazine (may have been Redbook? Better Homes & Gardens, something along those lines not even a teen mag) had a tiny photo of Audrey Hepburn and beneath her it said "Classy A.F." and I almost died laughing. What on Earth!? My husband says they probably thought it stands for "and fancy".
    I definitely remember people saying the actual words of As Fu$* but not the “text slang” of AF. Also, AF with Audrey Hepburn!! Wow, that’s hilarious!
  • MelG7777
    Options
    s1im62 wrote: »
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    “I’m here for it”
    “Netflix and chill”

Good ones! Although as a kid growing up in the 1960s in Alabama I did say “But I don’t want to play outside!” sometimes, especially on hot August days after getting home from our non-airconditioned grade-school. :)

"Google it!"

Ooh yes, I bet kids in Alabama said that! Here in Wisconsin, we LIVED for summer as kids and stayed out....although, it was also the beginning of video games and it was already sucking some kids inside. 😬
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,115 Member
    Options
    Google it
  • s1im62
    Options
    Viral video
  • s1im62
    Options
    Blu-Ray
  • Steelpit202
    Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    DVD
    Broadband
  • emmaMaureen19
    emmaMaureen19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Spill the tea
    Do you have the receipt?
  • s1im62
    Options
    Text me.
  • Susan3758
    Susan3758 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Flatscreen tv
  • iqandil
    iqandil Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    LED technology
  • s1im62
    edited August 2019
    Options
    WiFi Hotspot
  • Newfie_Steve83
    Newfie_Steve83 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Cellphone
  • s1im62
    Options
    Smartphone
  • Newfie_Steve83
    Newfie_Steve83 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Fitbit
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    twitter bots and social media trolls (back in my day, trolls used to live under bridges...)
  • s1im62
    Options
    Server farm
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    "You know nothing, Jon Snow."