Are my calories too low?

Hi all, quick background info about me. I am 27, female 5'5 currently weighing in at 166lbs. GW is around 125-130lbs.

I'm wondering if eating at 1200 calories is too low? I don't have a specific eating plan, I simply weigh my food and track calories in vs calories out.

But I seem to be hungry a lot! I am dropping weight it's been two weeks on 1200 calories and I'm hungry a lot. I'm pretty active I'll workout between 3-4x a week I will do cardio classes and I lift weights.

I'm dropping my calories because I'm really struggling to lose my belly fat. But now wondering if my calories are too low.

I'm not entirely sure how to open my diary but I am happy to do so if someone can tell me how lol.

Any tips would great !

J

Replies

• Jay9201
    Jay9201 Posts: 119 Member
    Great thank you so much! Yes I'm currently lifting heavy weights with cardio sessions. 1824 calorie sounds great I can actually eat more filling food. I am looking to lose weight in a sustainable way so even if its 1lb a week that's progress. I will try upping my calories thank you!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Jay9201 wrote: »
    Hi all, quick background info about me. I am 27, female 5'5 currently weighing in at 166lbs. GW is around 125-130lbs.

I'm wondering if eating at 1200 calories is too low? I don't have a specific eating plan, I simply weigh my food and track calories in vs calories out.

But I seem to be hungry a lot! I am dropping weight it's been two weeks on 1200 calories and I'm hungry a lot. I'm pretty active I'll workout between 3-4x a week I will do cardio classes and I lift weights.

I'm dropping my calories because I'm really struggling to lose my belly fat. But now wondering if my calories are too low.

I'm not entirely sure how to open my diary but I am happy to do so if someone can tell me how lol.

Any tips would great !

J

With 30ish lbs to lose, you should be set to lose no more than 1 lb per week. You are also supposed to log your exercise and eat back at least some of those calories.

Losing too fast can lead to losing more muscle than you'd want. Plus, as you've found, you end up really hungry, which for many of us will lead to eventually hitting the wall and eating it all back!

Unfortunately, belly fat is almost always the last to go, regardless of how fast or slow you lose.

Check out these posts too:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

:drinker:

All this.
  • Jay9201
    You guys have been great with all your tips!!! Thank you so much!!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    MFP defaults to 1200 as the lowest it will let you go. It sounds like you have put a very aggressive target date to get to 125lbs and its just defaulted to 1200.

If this is going to be a sustainable journey for you, then you cant be hungry all the time and 1200 calories is too low. Up your daily intake and be patient.

Others will chime in, but here is a broad brush calculation I have picked up along the way:

1) Maintenance calories = bodyweight in lbs x 13-15 (i go by 14)
    So for you to stay same weight you would need to consume ~2324kcals (116x14) per day.

2) To lose 1lb you need a deficit of 3500kcals. So a 500kcal deficit per day (3500/7) will having you lose 1lb a week.

3) Based on you being 166lbs you could eat 1824kcals (2324-500) per day and still lose 1lb per week. Chuck in the exercise you are doing and you will lose more.

There are plenty threads on tummy fat but bottom line is you cant spot reduce. You can certainly tone up but the fat needs to go to see those mythical abs i am still searching for myself lol.

Be patient on your fat loss journey.

What is this equation based on? is it for men? If I were to use it I'd have about 1960kcal per day. Being a small, not so young anymore woman I would certainly gain weight on that.
  • Jay9201
    Thank you so much for these tips! Never realised I was hungry all this time and it's because I'm not fuelling my body properly.
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Im enjoying the face palms.

Believe me I grasp the methodology of MFP and TDEE calculations - I know the 1200 is because the rate of loss goal was too aggressive and not the actual calculation itself.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the setup. If you chose weight loss / gains perhaps MFP could go a little further and also determine appropriate rates of loss / gain based on starting stats?

I understand your desire to push the very detailed calculations, but be aware that people often over estimate calories burned and then eat them back and question why they are not reaching their goals.

Now to give rise to your internet comment I googled "how to calculate maintenance calories" (a very fair assumption that the audience may type this) and the first drop down without even clicking a single link says:

"Just take your current body weight in pounds and multiply it by 14 and 17. Somewhere in between those 2 amounts will usually be your daily calorie maintenance level. For example, a 180lb person would do 180 x 14 and 180 x 17 and get an estimated daily calorie maintenance level of somewhere between 2520-3060 calories"

Now I know the internet is plagued with conflicting information (such as this thread). The industry makes a fortune out of over complicating the *kitten* out of things so that us muggles subscribe to the latest trends. I cant stress enough this calculation was to keep things simple. It generally works but I recognise no two people are the same. Hence why its a line in the sand only.

I honestly don't have a passion for this calculation, nor did i expect to have to defend it, I have nothing negative to say to anyone who subscribes to any calculation to be honest. For me its about starting the process of self awareness.