f2f help

Options
Just went onto the f2f website and put my info in...got bmr of 1637 but set to sedentary (stay at home mom) it gave me 1676 to eat daily?

Shouldn't I eat under my bmr?

Help!

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Just went onto the f2f website and put my info in...got bmr of 1637 but set to sedentary (stay at home mom) it gave me 1676 to eat daily?

Help!

It's slightly above your bmr, unless that's the number before your cut. I would suggest that as a stay at home mom you're probably at least lightly active with a little one or little ones to look after.
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    Before my cut? I'm not following lol I do a little running around, but wouldn't consider it burning much.

Help!

It's slightly above your bmr, unless that's the number before your cut. I would suggest that as a stay at home mom you're probably at least lightly active with a little one or little ones to look after.
  • herblackwings39
    Options
    The fat2fit calculator should have calculated your BMR and your TDEE. BMR would be the base number required if you didn't get out of bed and TDEE the number of calories you use in a day at whatever activity level selected. Generally people take a 10, 15, or 20% cut from TDEE to get their calorie goal. I assumed that's what you were talking about.

To lose weight you eat below your TDEE, not your BMR.
  • RichardFL
    Options
    You generally should not eat under your BMR. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is how many calories you need just to keep your internal organs running. If you eat below your BMR for too long, you risk your body trying to protect those organs by lowering your metabolism.

If the site shows you a TDEE number, that is how many calories you'd have to eat to neither lose nor gain weight, and just maintain your current weight.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Help!

If you're up during the day cleaning, cooking, doing dishes and laundry, and taking care of a child, I would set your activity level at "lightly active", at least.

Your BMR is your basal metabolic rate - basically the calories your body requires just to perform basic functions. You want to eat ABOVE that number to function optimally. Your TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure - the calories your body burns during a typical day. You want to eat BELOW your TDEE for weight loss.
    Eat between your BMR and your TDEE. Most people subtract 15-20% from their TDEE to lose weight in a slow, sustainable way.
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    Ok I got tree of 1958 on fitness frog...didn't see it on f2f. So I should eat below 1958 tdee?
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    I have. 2 year old...I sit and play blocks, watch nick jr, and clean up the house....I don't feel like that's active lol
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    I just subtracted 15% from my 1958 tdee and got 1664, that's just above my bmr of 1631. Is that a safe number to set for cals?
  • RichardFL
    Options
    I just subtracted 15% from my 1958 tdee and got 1664, that's just above my bmr of 1631. Is that a safe number to set for cals?

Most likely 1664 is safe. BMRs are usually overestimated online.

I suspect you're underestimating your TDEE though. If you lose weight faster than just over half a pound a week, you underestimated your TDEE by setting your activity level too low.
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    So if I have I can up my activity level to get a better tdee and then subtract 15% from that, right?
  • RichardFL
    Options
    So if I have I can up my activity level to get a better tdee and then subtract 15% from that, right?

Yes. You'll need to update TDEE once in a while anyways, as it will change as your weight changes. I think people recommend to update at least every 10 pounds.
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options

Yes. You'll need to update TDEE once in a while anyways, as it will change as your weight changes. I think people recommend to update at least every 10 pounds.

I just checked and with lightly active it gives me tdee of 2243 and with 15% subtracted 1906 to eat. I think I'll increase to this when I get back in the flow of exercising.
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    Also, if I do workout...should I leave those calories...not eat them back?
  • herblackwings39
    Options
    If you go with the lightly active numbers you will not eat those calories back. If you still want to track them on MFP just enter the calories burned amount as 1 calorie so you have it but it doesn't skew the daily calories.
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    If you go with the lightly active numbers you will not eat those calories back. If you still want to track them on MFP just enter the calories burned amount as 1 calorie so you have it but it doesn't skew the daily calories.

So I would put in my walk and delete what cals burned it says, replacing it with 1?

I swear I'm not dense, I just want to do this right :)
  • herblackwings39
    Options

So I would put in my walk and delete what cals burned it says, replacing it with 1?

Yes. Log your walk and just change the number in the calories burned box to 1 so you have a record of your workouts, but the calorie goal won't go nuts on you.
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options

Thanks!
    Yes. Log your walk and just change the number in the calories burned box to 1 so you have a record of your workouts, but the calorie goal won't go nuts on you.