Starting Over

cynsamson
cynsamson Posts: 1 Member
This time last year I was 40 lbs lighter. Somewhere in the last year between stating a new job where I sit all of the time, moving & stress; I managed to let myself get overwhelmed and out of shape. Positive support to get me going would definitely help. How do you motivate yourself after you have had a setback?

Replies

• ricomincia
    ricomincia Posts: 230 Member
    Think the key is to make a change for life... and don't beat yourself up if you have a bad food day or whatever. As long as it doesn't become a trend you'll be fine. Its when bad things start to become a trend that the problems start.... :) (speaking from experience....)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I'm in similar boat. I maintained healthy weight for years. I moved across the country (US), I started a new job, and dealing with an odd disease.

Stress and depression caused a little bit of weight gain. So, downloaded this app to help me reign in the calories. I don't get stressed and depressed often, but when I do, I find I over-eat without even realizing it until I start tracking again.

Good luck. We got this!! I'm open for adds.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    Sometimes little goals help. The 10 day challenges are fun and over quickly. Just getting started I find is the biggest obstacle. I am doing a Labor day challenge also and we post our weight on Friday- oh did I want to cheat tonight, a glass of wine with dinner, extra helpings etc... but I know I will weigh myself tomorrow for the Labor Day challenge and the 10 day challenge and it stopped me from overeating. Its funny how baby steps can still get you to where you are going. Good Luck!
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    This sounds exactly like me. 2 years ago i lost 40 lbs and felt great. Then I changed jobs and get it all back. And now i just can't get back into the groove. But today im getting back to tracking calories and drinking water. Tomorrow Im going to weigh in and recalculate my calorie goal on mfp, and try to go for a walk. we can do this! and we'll feel so much better.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited July 2019
    You have dine the most important thing by getting started again! Losing weight and setting/staying fit is a long game. Facing what is so right now makes us stronger and more resilient. It takes work and reframing our mindsets to accept those blips in this weight loss journey. Here's a great article full of great insight and helpful suggestions:
    6 Ways to Deal with the Ups and Downs of Weight Loss (without Giving Up)

We were just yesterday talking about this article and these ideas in the Fat2Fit group here on MFP. Feel free to join us if you'd like.

As Smoofinator so brilliantly said, "Don't give up on a goal just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Mindset helps a lot. If you want to lose the 40 lbs, that's a goal.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Life can do that --- knock you off your game. The point is, you're making the commitment to yourself now. Same here - and for a much longer period, with a much deeper hole to climb out of. If I can come back after YEARS, you can, too!