Need help increasing my bench weight

I'm currently not going up as quickly on the bench press as I used to. My current bench plan is:
Week 1- 1 warm up set, 3 sets work weight (85 percent of max) at 10 reps each, 1 set work weight to failure.
Hammer press- 3 sets at 10 reps each.
Incline pushups- 3 sets at failure.

Week 2- 1 warm up set, 3 sets work weight at 10 reps each, 1 set at 95 percent of max for 8 reps.
8 reps at 95 percent max is the goal- if I meet that, then I go up each weight by 10 pounds.
Hammer press- 3 sets at 10 reps each.
Incline pushups- 3 sets at failure.

I went up really fast at first. However, now I've been stagnating. I do not feel it is my pecs- I feel the issue is my triceps faltering at the sticking point. I've thought about abandoning this and starting the stronglifts 5x5 program.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Here's a good article about 5X5

http://www.strongfirst.com/strongfirst-on-5x5/
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    A few things come to mind...

1) strengthen your lats - dips are great for this - to increase your bench.
    2) check your form. IME, if your tris are limiting your push, your form is off. You lift with your chest and back more than your shoulders and tris
    3) Most people will progress quickly at first, then slow. This is normal.
    4) In most cases, a proven "boxed" program like 5x5 will give you better results than a home grown plan. But that doesn't mean that your routine is bad, especially if it's one you like and that you'll stick with.

• salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Thanks a lot for the tips! Could you elaborate more on proper form? I keep my back flat on the bench and flair my elbows so that they are perpendicular to my chest. I have noticed that I do not plant my feet firmly- they tend to shift and move on the last few lifts of a set.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Here's another from my pal Marshall Roy about the "flat back". Also, you will get more power by keeping your elbows in and activating your lats (I do anyway).

http://marshallroy.com/?p=856
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Are you training for strength or hypertrophy? If your goal is increasing size, keep doing what you're doing but go up 5 lbs instead of 10. If you just want to be able to bench heavier, let me know and I'll give you resources. The optimal approach for that goal is very different from what you're doing.
  • MonsterToBe
    For good form, however, the best resource I've ever found is this: http://train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-bench-parts1-7/

In particular, having your elbows flared out and perpendicular to your chest puts you at risk of shoulder impingement. Tucking the elbows is important.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    you can bench 95% of max for 8 reps?
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    For good form, however, the best resource I've ever found is this: http://train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-bench-parts1-7/

In particular, having your elbows flared out and perpendicular to your chest puts you at risk of shoulder impingement. Tucking the elbows is important.

^^^ THIS!!!! x10

I started benching with a wider grip, flaring the elbows and a flat back. Made some great initial progress and then stalled. I pushed on and got severe tendinitis in my shoulders. Stopped me cold for three months. I could bench zero weight.

Got through rehab and am now progressing nicely again. Shoulder blades together, arch in back and a narrower grip without flared elbows has been the answer. That and a stronger back (believe it or not).

I haven't seen your form but from what you describe, you are at great risk of going down my path to shoulder injury.

Tom
  • MonsterToBe
    @DavPul: If form is the limiting factor, her tested 1RM isn't anywhere near her actual 1RM and the percentages are off.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    If you simply want to bench more weight lengthen your rest period between sets to around 4 minutes.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member

That did not make sense to me either...
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    linear progression does not last forever! after ur nob gains u gotta put in time.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member

^^^ this^^^
    i had a long reply typed out but reread it and it made me sound like a d!ck, and thats just not me..... so, in short if you want to bench more drop the reps to 3-5 and increase the weight. dont work to failure and take 3-5 minutes between sets. you want the weight heavy enough that the final rep per set is challenging, but not a fail set.

my last bench work went like this....
    135x10(warm up)
    185x5(warm up)
    225 5x5 working sets, sets 4 and 5 were definitely a challenge on the 5th rep.
    then just to lock in my form i drop and do a final 5 rep set at 205 then move on to my next routine. usually mid incline or floor press. both are usually from 185-205 for 5x5.....
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member

I came here to post this. Watch the vid. Your form as you described has at least 3 of the biggest no-nos for benching.
  • I was increasing my bench weight in huge increments my doing a warm up then sets of 8, 6, and 4. All weight was set that I struggled to do the last rep on each set. Increasing weight 40lbs or so each set.
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Hey, thanks for all of the candor and honest feedback. I watched the clips and read all the tips- I really had no idea there was such a thing as proper form for the bench. I brought my elbows in and the bar lower.and lifted my chest up- right away, no tricep problems at the sticking point. I banged out my reps with no problems. I will continue to work on the form. Great help- exactly what I was looking for.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Good to hear. Best of luck on your new benching prowess :)
  • MonsterToBe
    Congrats! Good for you for putting the work in -- now go get stronger! :oD