What are the best Upper / lower body workouts

Options
I have a membership at a gym but I have absolutely no idea what I should be doing. I'm trying to strength train

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Take a few sessions with a personal trainer. Likely, at least one free session came with your membership. Many gyms also have small group classes with a trainer for free or cheap.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Lower body: DL & Sqts
    Upper body: BP and OHP

These are considered the "Big 4" of wt lifting and should be the core of any lifting program In fact, some people (me included) never do more than just these 4.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Like the big 4 of the previous post although now I train using kettlebells, pull-ups, chin-ups and bar dips. To the Big 4, I would add Pendlay rows. Now we have something that looks like the StrongLifts protocol.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    OP: read the pinned post called Most Helpful Posts and you'll find a list of good programs. A good one that's not on the list is New Rules of Lifting for Life. There's also one linked in my profile. Or hire a good trainer for a few sessions.
    By the way, it's ok if a program doesn't contain the exercises mentioned in the other posts. There are many ways to get stronger. :+1:
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Lower body: DL & Sqts
    Upper body: BP and OHP

These are considered the "Big 4" of wt lifting and should be the core of any lifting program In fact, some people (me included) never do more than just these 4.

I use Strong Lifts 5x5 which incorporates these 4 plus barbell row. As auxiliary exercises, I do barbell curls, planks, assisted chin ups and assisted dips. Someday, ah someday, those assisted exercises will become body weight again.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    What type of equipment does your gym have?

While there are definite advantages to many of the recommendations above, I'm not sure I'd suggest running right over to the first barbell you see. If you want to do those lifts - great! But learn how to do them before you start doing them with any meaningful weight. Either watch some videos from knowledgeable people/instructors, or see if your gym offers any kind of instruction. And even then, start light. Lighter than you think/want. A broomstick, an empty barbell, and length of PVC pipe, etc.

The other option would be a full body circuit of weight machines/stations... certainly nothing wrong with those even if they don't get much love here.