Salad calories

Options
13»

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    as a guy who gets close to 2500 calories and never came close, i didn't find the need to weigh out my salads, however i don't use dressing or croutons. can see benefit for people who don't have as much calorie allowance or are more strict on macros.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    geiznekcm wrote: »
    Hello!

I really appreciate all the posts and commentary here. Everyone is so helpful.
    I hope it's not inappropriate of me to add a question to the original post.

From what I gathered reading this discussion, most people here are talking about smaller portions of salads -- like a generic "side salad" -- Are there any people who eat in VOLUME here, people who consume very large salads?

Thank you.

I have salads as an entire meal quite often, sometimes with protein, mostly without. My diet is plant based with seafood, eggs and some dairy (pescatarian).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Hello!

From what I gathered reading this discussion, most people here are talking about smaller portions of salads -- like a generic "side salad" -- Are there any people who eat in VOLUME here, people who consume very large salads?

Thank you.

Sure, sometimes - in what are sold as serving bowls. Or cooked-veggie dishes (with some protein) of similar volume. 800-1100g of veg/fruit daily is pretty normal. Nutritious, tasty : Why not?
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Thank you.

You may want to take a look at this thread - it mentions different kinds of volume meals, including salads. :)
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I very often have a big salad for lunch (sometimes for dinner instead). It's my most common lunch.

There's a volume eaters thread you might like.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Thank you.

Had this 1.5 quart mixing bowl noodle salad with chicken the other day - yum! Took like two hours to eat, lol.

c0nkjq94hv8z.jpg
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Thank you.
    My salads are a meal in itself They are large 1.5L lunchbox is squashed full of veggies. I even have a reputation at work due to the shear size of it. But note: No dressing
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. English Cucumbers have 3 times the calories that regular Cucumbers have, for example. Adds up quickly. That's why I weigh everything.

I figure, if I take a shortcut and don't weigh my salads, what's the next food I'll take a shortcut with?

For me personally, that's a recipe for disaster.

Can I ask what might be a stupid question...I’m English and 58 and until very, very recently I’ve not even heard the term English Cucumber. You’ve said these cucumbers have 3x the calories of a ‘regular’ cucumber. What I’m curious about is what are you referring to as a ‘regular’ cucumber?

The only cucumbers we generally see here, in England, are maybe 12 inches long, and probably 1.5 - 2 inches in diameter. I’ve once or twice seen and bought what are simply called ‘baby cucumber’ which are just mini versions as far as I knew.

So yes...I’m now curious as to what I’ve been eating and logging! I always log using an entry that corresponds to the specific supermarket that I bought it from, but I’m mostly just curious about what you guys mean!

Me too, no such thing as english cucumbers.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    And for comparisons sake, here’s what people are calling a “regular” cucumber.
    5ugxdenwk1lx.jpeg

Thank you! The picture here is definitely of something I’ve not seen in real life as it were! The first pic is what we get everywhere. Your regular cucumber is quite different. It’s weird and fascinating how the oddest things are just not the same country to country although we never really acknowledge it! Now I’m wondering how many other things that we all refer to are not actually the identical things at all! 😂

Those are just what would be called home grown cucumbers, you see those on allotments all the time. Slightly tougher skins and possibly the burp factor.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I count everything. I had a salad for breakfast today that had nearly half of what I usually eat, and salad vegetables without the other stuff added up to more than 100 calories, and that's just for one meal. You may be able to get away with it if you're very heavy, but 100 calories can make or break a diet for someone who is lighter and shorter.

ETA:

Re: cucumbers
    My "regular" cucumbers are a variety called Persian cucumbers. They're basically the baby brother of an English cucumber. They look similar but are much smaller.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Cucumbers can be tamed. Try peeling 2/3 of the green rind off, cut it lengthwise and scrape out the seed and pulp and discard that part. Then cut the cucumber into bite sized pieces. Squirt a bit of balsamic glaze on it and it is finally edible.

Or just buy English cucumbers. They are a special variety of hothouse cucumber that is very thin skinned and has tiny (or non existent) seeds. You can tell which ones they are because they are the ones individually wrapped in plastic instead of waxed and left out in the bins.

Not sure why they are called "English" though (although a GIS indicates it is because it is the common type of cucumber found in England and Americans needed to distinguish it from the common type found in the US so they called it "English")

english-versus-regular-cucumbers-2355806-FINAL-5bc8a4eec9e77c0051c08105.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat the skin of cucumbers, but don't want to eat wax (I know the wax is "food grade", but I still don't want to eat wax) so I've been buying English cucumbers while I wait for the cukes in my mom's garden to start popping. I leave the plastic on and peel it back as I go.

Store bought English cucumbers seem to last longer than store bought slicing cucumbers, and they are on sale here this time of year.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I did the tomato pulp experiment on cucumbers and got the same result.

For those unfamiliar, it was Julia Child, I think, who suggested that persons remove the tomato pulp, seed and liquid to a bowl and taste it with a spoon. The result is not too pleasant, in my opinion (and hers) and her point was that she would recommend removing the pulp in uncooked tomato dishes.

I find the same with cucumber, but, of course, tastes differ.