Take Advantage of MFP Tools

Options
shcgiebs
shcgiebs Posts: 41 Member
MFP offers many tools to help us lose weight and get healthy. BUT...like and umbrella in the rain...it doesn't help if I leave it in the car. This is a great site, but it takes some practice maneuvering and learning your way around it. So play with it!

1. Logging foods is a no brainer. The database is pretty accurate and you can always add to it.

2. Logging exercise may take some doing. I still can find grocery shopping or laundry and trust me, they are exercise! Look at other sites and bookmark them. You can always add them to your exercises here.

3. Check in. Weigh and measure yourself at least on a weekly basis. Nothing sparks weight loss then seeing the numbers go down.

4. Use the bottom of your food diary to make personal notes about your day...stress eating, passed on dessert...whatever.

5. Blog and message! Pass along your success and tips or ask the community for help. Read what others are doing. You are not alone.

6. If you find someone or a group you like...JOIN or make friends! It's easier together.

7. Lastly...fill in your profile. So many times I see "I haven't filled this in yet". If you don't have the time to fill in the profile then you probably aren't making the time to do other things like logging food or working out.

If anyone has any other tips, please add them. Healthy advice is good advice!

Take advantage and use the tools here and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    shcgiebs wrote: »
    MFP offers many tools to help us lose weight and get healthy. BUT...like and umbrella in the rain...it doesn't help if I leave it in the car. This is a great site, but it takes some practice maneuvering and learning your way around it. So play with it!

1. Logging foods is a no brainer. The database is pretty accurate and you can always add to it.

7. Lastly...fill in your profile. So many times I see "I haven't filled this in yet". If you don't have the time to fill in the profile then you probably aren't making the time to do other things like logging food or working out.

If anyone has any other tips, please add them. Healthy advice is good advice!

Take advantage and use the tools here and you'll be fine. Good luck!

The DB has a lot of accurate entries and a lot of garbage entries as well. Navigating the DB and choosing the correct entries is not necessarily a "no-brainer". People should be careful adding to it to avoid adding additional garbage or incomplete nutrition information which is annoying.

I took some time about a month ago to fill in my profile. It feels good to finally have that done.
  • shcgiebs
    shcgiebs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The profile is a personal choice. I like it because I can go back and say I accomplished that or I need to work on that. I also like it to see if anyone has my same likes/dislikes. I keep it closed to all but friends. As for the whole logging daily chores...I do that when I am so busy I can't do a proper workout. Again, a personal choice, but it helps me mentally feel like I accomplished something.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    The profile is a personal choice. I like it because I can go back and say I accomplished that or I need to work on that. I also like it to see if anyone has my same likes/dislikes. I keep it closed to all but friends. As for the whole logging daily chores...I do that when I am so busy I can't do a proper workout. Again, a personal choice, but it helps me mentally feel like I accomplished something.

After all is said and done, stepping on the bathroom scale will be the judge of what works and what doesn't. The rest is just personal preference and fluff. If things are going the way you'd like for now, whatever works, works.

But if the scale isn't being your friend, that's when you have to re-visit your preferences, with emphasis on these points:

- food types and amounts consumed, making doubly sure the entries you've been using from the very flawed datatbase are actually the correct ones
    - that you are weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink
    - that calories from purposeful exercise aren't being inflated
    - that weight loss isn't also being hindered because you're eating back calories earned through normal daily activities which are already included in your calorie goals here.

Td;dr? Inaccuracy only works until it doesn't. ;)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

A couple of reasons you are getting push-back, totally aside from the specific content of your post are

(1) Just an IRL, unsolicited advice tends to be unwelcome on message boards.
    (2) Your original post was couched not in terms of "this is my personal choice of what works for me." It was couched in terms of "this is what everybody should do because it worked for me."