Squat and deadlift form help

capriqueen
capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
edited July 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I had previously posted here about having anterior pelvic tilt and how it's been affecting my exercise. Can you look at my form and judge if it's correct or if I am doing something wrong? The video is provided at the link below. I haven't used any weight in either, just wanted to see if my form was right at all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b2MeK1crkk41mzQhV9EGjVVsbL70Mjy4/view?usp=sharing

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I think you need to work on flexibility so you have a more uprightness when performing the squat that I viewed. Practice makes perfect. Good idea to continue taking videos of yourself to judge if you're making flexibility progress.
  • capriqueen
    I think you need to work on flexibility so you have a more uprightness when performing the squat that I viewed. Practice makes perfect. Good idea to continue taking videos of yourself to judge if you're making flexibility progress.

Thanks for viewing! Do you feel like my spine is hunching over or something? Or is it to do with the way I am standing?
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Your lower back is curved, here is a video of Jeremy Ethier talking about how to fix anterior pelvic tilt
    https://youtu.be/2NZMaI-HeNU

I hope its helpful
  • capriqueen
    Your lower back is curved, here is a video of Jeremy Ethier talking about how to fix anterior pelvic tilt

I hope its helpful

I know.. which is why in my original post I said I have anterior pelvic tilt.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I think you're leaning far too forward. First of all, you'll probably do better wearing something else besides those pants you were wearing. You'll need to work on hip girdle and ankle flexibility. Maybe you can find something helpful on YouTube.

Suggestion: grab something in front of you like a rail or door knob and then squat down trying to improve your uprightness. I think you'll find this will help. Beyond this, do a search on YouTube to see if you can find further guidance. Wishing you the best.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Can you see a coach for a session for two? There are quite a few experts on this forum but seeing a coach in person would allow them to check everything from ankle mobility, knee positioning, ab tensing, breathing and hip position. It could be a combination of things, and a good coach would help you with mobility and any corrections.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    capriqueen wrote: »

I hope its helpful

I know.. which is why in my original post I said I have anterior pelvic tilt.

Yep, i suggest u work on stretching muscles causing ur anterior pelvic tilt and strength the opposite muscles
    Cuz this will cause back pain especially when u progress with weights
  • capriqueen
    edited July 2019
    Can you see a coach for a session for two? There are quite a few experts on this forum but seeing a coach in person would allow them to check everything from ankle mobility, knee positioning, ab tensing, breathing and hip position. It could be a combination of things, and a good coach would help you with mobility and any corrections.

Thanks! I actually have been working with a trainer and keep asking her for instruction on form, but she has not pointed out anything specifically. She is aware of my APT however and focuses more on doing pelvic tilt exercises and pilates to fire my glutes.
    She does tell me to brace my abs while going through the move. Beyond that, I just try to push my hips out, but I am not really sure what is causing the "leaning forward".
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    The way I learned proper squat form was through Jess Smith videos. She always says to use a chair if you are beginner, and squat down like you are sitting in chair. You wouldn't bend far forward to sit down, might help you get the mentality of sitting down straighter. Also, couldn't tell from the sideview how your legs were positioned. When starting out, legs should be about hip-width/shoulder-width apart. Legs closer together can be harder because you may feel you are losing balance.

I struggle with deadlift form too, especially when tired. Remember you are hinging at hips, not bending lower half. Go as low as you can with a flat back. I have to focus on keeping chest puffed out to avoid shoulders rounding upper back forward. A friend of mine learned form for this by sticking a yardstick under the back of her sports bra. if the stick wasn't touching her whole back she knew she was bending too much.
  • capriqueen
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    The way I learned proper squat form was through Jess Smith videos. She always says to use a chair if you are beginner, and squat down like you are sitting in chair. You wouldn't bend far forward to sit down, might help you get the mentality of sitting down straighter. Also, couldn't tell from the sideview how your legs were positioned. When starting out, legs should be about hip-width/shoulder-width apart. Legs closer together can be harder because you may feel you are losing balance.

I struggle with deadlift form too, especially when tired. Remember you are hinging at hips, not bending lower half. Go as low as you can with a flat back. I have to focus on keeping chest puffed out to avoid shoulders rounding upper back forward. A friend of mine learned form for this by sticking a yardstick under the back of her sports bra. if the stick wasn't touching her whole back she knew she was bending too much.

Thanks! My legs were hip width apart with toes pointed outward for the squat. In trying to push my hips out I guess I end up leaning forward instead. I wonder if that has to do with how I have that exaggerated curve in my spine?
  • claireychn074
    capriqueen wrote: »

Thanks! I actually have been working with a trainer and keep asking her for instruction on form, but she has not pointed out anything specifically. She is aware of my APT however and focuses more on doing pelvic tilt exercises and pilates to fire my glutes.
    She does tell me to brace my abs while going through the move. Beyond that, I just try to push my hips out, but I am not really sure what is causing the "leaning forward".

I’m sorry to diss your trainer but you might benefit from getting a different one! I’ve had various injuries and I’ve absolutely relied on my coach to sort me out. Your coach should be assessing what is causing any problems and helping you: the problem with us giving you exercises or ideas is we can’t see everything and might exacerbate issues or even cause you harm. And sometimes people on here seem expert but they’re not! Great that you’re trying to improve your form - it does take time but it feels awesome when you nail the correct technique 😀
  • claireychn074
    Ps a couple of genuine experts on here are @Chieflrg and @quiksylver296 - don’t know what their thoughts are?
  • capriqueen
    Ps a couple of genuine experts on here are @Chieflrg and @quiksylver296 - don’t know what their thoughts are?

Thank you so much!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

I cannot see the video for some reason. Perhaps load it through YouTube or IG and post it here and I will be glad to take a look.

I will say that I don't know if you have a bit more prominent lordosis in the lower lumbar region, though it's more than likely unconnected to anything other than your aesthetic concern about it possibly existing.

I would suggest to train normally without thinking about it. Squat, deadlift, etc... Requires a braced back that has little flexion as possible. Look up the vasalva maneuver if you are not currently familiar with it.

Most people are fed how to lift and told if there "form" doesn't fit a standard, they will experience pain or injure themselves. This is far from true and when there can be adjustments that help for efficiency, one does not have to mimic a standard that doesn't emulate everybody's movement and body proportions.

Once again post the video in another format. Hopefully from both the front and direct side & I'll critique.