Fatty liver

Options
Has anyone else been diagnosed with a fatty liver? Need ideas on what I should be eating to help heal my liver.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    https://examine.com/supplements/milk-thistle/

This is what my wife's doctor told her to take. Her enzymes came down after about 6 months. She was not given a specific food diet to follow. I am not sure there is one. She was given a list of things to try and limit but it was things like otc pain meds and alcohol.

• starfishstarfish7
    starfishstarfish7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi yes i was diagnosed with fatty liver recently.something also about the size of my liver.large apparently.i have never drunk alcohol.i now have to see someone about an endoscopy.im yet to discover foods that i could cut out.
  • jennyminnick4
    jennyminnick4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I will try the milk thistle!!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Milk thistle is wonderful. My late hubby had fatty liver, milk thistle and diet competely reversed his fatty liver disease.

I even starting giving it to my dog when liver enzymes were high.

And my daughter and I take it for prevention liver support.

Also cilantro is good for the liver.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing from people with this diagnosis, many who appear to be quite healthy!

I'm guessing that the exact composition of your diet will not nearly be as important as maintaining a reasonable weight and getting regular exercise.

Best of luck!
  • kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My liver Dr. told me the best thing to do is lose weight and eat right. Seems to be working as my lab results were good after a year between visits.
  • Scott_IF
    Scott_IF Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits and vegetable, exercise and lose weight - that will likely reverse NAFLD
  • elifmemis
    elifmemis Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lose weight, exercise and read books by Anthony Williams. The Liver books helps you understand what’s happening to your body. It saved me.

https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/do-you-have-a-fatty-liver
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My dog was given medication to support his liver that contained a high proportion of milk thistle. I take it myself if I've had any alcohol. No idea if it truly helps or if it is an old wives' tale, but I figure it can't harm. Desmodium is also supposed to be very good but that is really hard to come by in the UK.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Had one. Lost weight. No longer have one. Weight loss will help.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    It is an unfortunate epidemic in our society and is typically caused by overweight/obesity and/or uncontrolled cholesterol, diabetes and hypothyroidism. Weight loss is key (10% total body weight loss goal in 6 months) in addition to improving the above medical conditions can help. Here is another link that may help as well.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize how bad a fatty liver was! I was diagnosed with it years ago. My doctor acted like it was nothing but probably the main reason I have diabetes. Lower fat in your diet helps, omega 3 helps, heard that a supplement Berberine might help. I have ordered in 90 days worth of Berberine to try. I think I will pick up some milk thistle to try after the Berberine. The side effects of a fatty liver is probably a lot of my problems. Weight loss will help but I do know fit people that have a fatty liver. I do not drink alcohol unless it is a very special occasion.