10 pm and hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• aboydscheel
    Options
    If you are still under your calorie requirement, graham crackers, cheez it crackers, or a lowfat yogurt might make a good evening snack. I get hungry in the evenings too.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, y'all. I honestly do NOT like cooking at all, and have to force myself to prepare anything that takes longer than 5-10 minutes. I know I'm going to have to get over this though. We're also 9 days out from moving into a new place, so much chaos is happening.

I have customized my calorie goals, but I keep going back and forth between what I think will actually work. The 40 lbs I lost came off pretty easy over the course of a year because of some medication changes, but I still need/want to lose about 25 more. Most of this is I'm sure psychological, because I feel like being "allowed" to eat 1500-1700 calories is too good to be true LoL

I eat a lot of water packed tuna mixed with frozen and nuked mixed vegetables with a tea spoon or two of natural greek yogurt and a squirt of lemon/lime juice. By itself it is less than 150 calories and full of protein and fiber. You can mix it with all kinds of veggies and add something like tostadas, rice cake, a wrap or whatever for a meal. Preptime: 2 minutes
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, y'all. I honestly do NOT like cooking at all, and have to force myself to prepare anything that takes longer than 5-10 minutes. I know I'm going to have to get over this though. We're also 9 days out from moving into a new place, so much chaos is happening.

I have customized my calorie goals, but I keep going back and forth between what I think will actually work. The 40 lbs I lost came off pretty easy over the course of a year because of some medication changes, but I still need/want to lose about 25 more. Most of this is I'm sure psychological, because I feel like being "allowed" to eat 1500-1700 calories is too good to be true LoL

I eat a lot of water packed tuna mixed with frozen and nuked mixed vegetables with a tea spoon or two of natural greek yogurt and a squirt of lemon/lime juice. By itself it is less than 150 calories and full of protein and fiber. You can mix it with all kinds of veggies and add something like tostadas, rice cake, a wrap or whatever for a meal. Preptime: 2 minutes
    I am sorry but that sounds disgusting...I think I just puked all over my laptop...

nuked tuna, really?
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm hearing you don't like to cook, so your alternative is to have ready-to-make meals. That means have PB with honey and wheat germ on hand, Granny Smith Apples with gruyere or Monterey Jack cheese, rotisserie chicken (bought at store), toast bread with cheese and garlic (you can use mozzarella or gouda), buy a can of tomatoes with Italian spices and throw it on toasted bread for a quick bruschetta.

I lived off the cheese on toast for a week once. I actually shoved some spinach underneath the cheese to get more nutritional value. All these things take like 2 minutes to make. Get going!

I think you're probably at a crossroads in your meal plan/life so you're maybe not feeling it as much as you used to. It's a bit of a grind to keep the weight off and coming off. Congrats for getting this far.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I get hungry around 9:30 most nights. I usually just drink a big glass or two of water and head to bed at 10:30. I'm mostly thirsty at night anyways, so I attend to the more important need.

Along with the awesome snacks others suggested, I might suggest rearranging the calorie allotment for each meal. Maybe shave a few cals off of lunch and put them in a evening snack slot. Or push supper back a half hour and add a few more cals to it. Are you getting enough protein with supper? Also, using more complex carbs can help make the tide last longer, so to speak.

I'm a huge, HUGE, cereal girl. I lived off of it while I was pregnant with each kid. Still, I started trading in my cereal for oatmeal because for close to the same cals, I could stay fuller, longer. Oatmeal is easy peasy to make!

I know you said you aren't too interested in cooking, but convenience comes at a price, unfortunately.

But with the chaos of moving, I'd wait till your dust settles before embarking on a new cooking spree. :)

Good luck!
  • morgain5
    morgain5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Timing and what I eat I'm sure is the issue. I've admittedly been living off PBJ and Raisin Bran lately lol I don't like preparing food. I also stress over what to eat based on calories etc. It annoys and stresses me out more than it should. Learning curve I guess...

Take a day during the week when you can carve out a 3-4 hour stretch and prepare some things ahead of time. Boil chicken breasts and portion them out, wash and cut up veggies, portion out snacks, etc. That way you don't have to spend a lot of time cooking during the week.

You may have to get over the 'don't like to prepare food' part to some extent. I didn't like to exercise 6 months ago but I forced myself because I knew it was important to my health and my goals. Now I find that I enjoy it.
    I don't really enjoy cooking, either. So on Sunday, I prepare something that keeps well, and package up a week's worth of dinners. That way, when I come home from work, I pop my meal into the oven, and spend the next 20 minutes tidying up the house. When I'm done with that, my dinner is ready for me, and I didn't "cook" at all!
    I find it's worth it to take the time on one day a week to do real food prep, because then I know that my portions are already measured, and there's no work involved later in the week. Plus, with home-cooking, I can control my sodium and fat intake more than I can if I eat out, or have a microwave meal.
    Also, lat at night, try having a bottle of water to drink. We all know that thirst masquerades as hunger. If that doesn't work, try a low calorie snack such as a package of peanut butter crackers or one of those 100 calorie snack packs. One of my favorite late-night snacks is frozen yogurt. The Dannon Whips freeze to the consistency of ice cream, and my body thinks I'm having a much more sinful treat than I actually am!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Take a 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider vinegar, it curbs hunger.

I tried this because I read the pectin helped alleviate gall stone pain. I don't recommend it as it burned my throat and tasted awful. Unless it's buried in a cup of apple juice, it's really unpleasant