How well do you trust your Garmin's distance measurement in the woods?

Options
2»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Well, obviously you were going too fast for GPS to keep up!

;)

During the satellite fixing, did you change screens to see the accuracy rate of where it was, even after it got a fix?

I know usually if I start out before it's as best it can be - it never seems to get better in sketchy areas.
    Might check on 935 next time just to see.
    I like to get down to 20 ft before I start moving.

Satellite fixing?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That's right, on those phones GPS always enabled or turn on auto when you start an activity (according to manual), and probably hides when it's just not using it, or when it needs to get a fix again.

"Starting an Activity
    When you start an activity, GPS turns on automatically (if
    required)."

Which means it's buried in the menus - this might show more info.

Changing the GPS Setting
    By default, the device uses GPS to locate satellites. For more
    information about GPS, go to www.garmin.com/aboutGPS.
    1 Hold .
    2 Select Settings > Activities & Apps.
    3 Select the activity to customize.
    4 Select the activity settings.
    5 Select GPS.

- page 30 mentions this, which leads me to believe they did away with the extra details screens.

Acquiring Satellite Signals
    The device may need a clear view of the sky to acquire satellite
    signals. The time and date are set automatically based on the
    GPS position.
    TIP: For more information about GPS, go to www.garmin.com
    /aboutGPS.
    1 Go outdoors to an open area.
    The front of the device should be oriented toward the sky.
    2 Wait while the device locates satellites.
    It may take 30–60 seconds to locate satellite signals.
    Improving GPS Satellite Reception
    • Frequently sync the device to your Garmin Connect account:
    ◦ Connect your device to a computer using the USB cable
    and the Garmin Express application.
    ◦ Sync your device to the Garmin Connect app using your
    Bluetooth enabled smartphone.
    ◦ Connect your device to your Garmin Connect account
    using a Wi‑Fi wireless network.
    While connected to your Garmin Connect account, the device
    downloads several days of satellite data, allowing it to quickly
    locate satellite signals.
    • Take your device outside to an open area away from tall
    buildings and trees.
    • Remain stationary for a few minutes.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Garmin did away with the satellite details page for their watches. What I've always heard is to have your pace displayed and don't actually start the activity until it goes to zero and stays there.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    From the looks of the map above I bet you old watch was setup differently than you newer one.

My 5x displays a red ring when there's there no satellite fix, yellow when there are some, and green when it is ready to rock. I also have my settings to record every second and to use both the US and Russia signals.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    From the looks of the map above I bet you old watch was setup differently than you newer one.

My 5x displays a red ring when there's there no satellite fix, yellow when there are some, and green when it is ready to rock. I also have my settings to record every second and to use both the US and Russia signals.

What do you mean old watch vs new? New watch isn't a factor in this as it was home on my dresser the entire time.

The 920 just has GPS signal or it doesn't... My newer 935 does as yours does.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »

What do you mean old watch vs new? New watch isn't a factor in this as it was home on my dresser the entire time.

The 920 just has GPS signal or it doesn't... My newer 935 does as yours does.

You used your old watch and it came up short (or at least that's how I read it). The new watch may be setup to use additional satellites and may be taking readings more often.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My Garmin GPS watch is sometimes off by quite a bit on trail runs. Usually I can see it on the mapping... it will show all the curves of the trail for a while, then an absolutely straight line for a while, then back to curving. Looks like the GPS couldn't connect for a while so the watch assumes I went in a straight line between the last GPS connection and the new one.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    So the hike I asked this in preparation for is 18 miles by the book. I got lost a few times and did some side trips, my watch says I did 28.6 miles. A good friend went with me but ran, hers said 25. She believes it based on RPE and having done so many real rims of known length. RPE isn't a great guide though because one section was impossibly slow and difficult, and just draining. The track generally looks good, but if you zoom in enough it gets ... fuzzy? Like every step was a switchback.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3891949932