Is too much meat bad for weight loss?

I only eat white meat but I eat chicken/turkey almost daily. I’ve read that wasn’t ideal if you want to lose weight.
I definitely want to maintain my protein but also burn fat and lean out.
Any meatless dinners you enjoy?
Dairy free, please.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    If meat were bad for weight loss, there would be no keto or other low carb dieters. Meat is a good source of protein. Protein is necessary to build and retain muscles. It is also good at making you feel full longer.
  • Champagne_mamii
    Champagne_mamii Posts: 17 Member

MikePTY wrote: »
    No there is no reason why too much meat would be bad for weight loss, unless it causes you to have a calorie surplus. So as long as it is within your calorie goal, it is fine for weight loss.

I've really been liking a lot of meat replacements now though, like Beyond Meat or FieldRoast. I have been trying to incorporate more replacements for ethical reasons, so they are potential options if you want to have less meat.

I tried the Vegetarian/Vegan route once. LOVED BeyondMeat! The black bean burger & falafel is probably one of my favorites. I didn’t even think about that!

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If meat were bad for weight loss, there would be no keto or other low carb dieters. Meat is a good source of protein. Protein is necessary to build and retain muscles. It is also good at making you feel full longer.

No I’m asking if eating meat every single day would be bad for weight loss. I know in general it isn’t bad.
    I’ve always heard to have at least 1-2 meatless days.

If that were true does it mean you would only be losing weight on meatless days?

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

No I’m asking if eating meat every single day would be bad for weight loss. I know in general it isn’t bad.

You heard wrong. There is nothing magical about meat that prevents weight loss. The world is full of very lean bodybuilders who eat chicken every day.
  • Champagne_mamii
    NovusDies wrote: »

If that were true does it mean you would only be losing weight on meatless days?

Lmao I’m not sure. Clearly idk what tf I’m doing 😭
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member

There's no shame in not knowing what you are doing and coming here to ask questions. There is a bunch of misinformation out there that makes weight loss unnecessarily complicated. We are only trying to help you cut through all the noise so you can focus on what's important.
  • Champagne_mamii
    MikePTY wrote: »

There's no shame in not knowing what you are doing and coming here to ask questions. There is a bunch of misinformation out there that makes weight loss unnecessarily complicated. We are only trying to help you cut through all the noise so you can focus on what's important.

I appreciate it! Thanks for all the feedback!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2019

You wouldn't believe the really obvious things I should not have believed that held me back for years. People have blind spots when it comes to weight loss.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP have you tried reading the stickied most helpful forum posts in the top of the getting started section ? There is a lot of great information in there about diet, weight loss, how to set appropriate goals, how to use the tool, etc.

In short, since you also asked in another thread about restricting carbs - there is no one food or type of food that prohibits you from losing weight. Weight loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit over a period of time. You can achieve that eating a variety of foods and diets: Omnivore, vegetarian, ketogenic, etc - as long as you’re in a calorie deficit.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited July 2019
    Eating meat or any other type of food has NOTHING to do w/gaining or losing wt - only the amount of cals you consume matters in this regard.

If you choose to limit how much meat you eat for purported "health" reasons and/or for political or "ethical" reasons, that's your choice.

But, as an unrepentant MEAT EATER who has lost 40# and maintained his wt for 3 5 yrs while eating all of the meat he wants, I can tell you that eating meat has NOTHING to do w/losing wt

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,954 Member
    Eating meat daily, within calorie goal, is fine for weight loss, as others have said, since calories determine weight gain/loss/maintenance.

Most of us want to be healthy and energetic as well as a reasonable weight, so balanced nutrition is important for that. If you eat so much meat that it keeps you from getting enough other nutrition within your calorie goal, then that's too much meat for good nutrition. Presumably, you're getting enough protein from the meat. Since I assume you get some fat (mostly saturated) from your meat, that probably means making sure you get enough polyunsaturated/monounsaturated fats, fiber, and micronutrients.

Typically, getting plenty of varied, colorful fruits and veggies will do a bunch for micronutrients and fiber; seeds, nuts, avocados, olive oil and things like that are good for healthy fats.

Once you have enough of the nutrients that may be lacking in your choices of meats, it should be fine to fill up your remaining calorie goal with meat, meat, meat. ;)