How much cardio after strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    What are your current stats? are you looking to drop bf% or are you looking to gain muscle?

I personally spend most of my energy on lifting and up to 25 minutes max on cardio 2x per week. when i do cardio its stairmaster or HIIT treadmills.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There is no way that I could do both HIIT and strength training on the same day, and do justice to both of them.

Thats what I was thinking. I might be able to them on the same day but definitely not right after lifting.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I never follow lifting with cardio. After a intense hour of lifting your body will need to rest and refuel before you put it through cardio as well. Ideally you need to separate your cardio and strength training workouts.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I've done Prowler after Squats. I don't see the issue.

You aren't squatting enough then.....
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    OP depends how many calories you want to burn . Yes cardio is good for the heart but at the end of the day its only creating a bigger calorie deficit . Example: you burn 400calories doing 45min weight training then you do cardio for 30 minutes and burn another 200 calories . Puts you in a 600calorie deficit further than what you were at before you stepped into the gym.

Do cardio accordingly to how many calories you need to burn.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    For women, I read that it's best to allow only 1 minute between sets/supersets (which means you'll get the benefit of an increased heart rate while doing weight lifting). Also, keep your weight workouts to no longer than 20 minutes so you don't deplete your testosterone. Do whatever cardio you like to do, just for fun, and then enjoy eating back most of those calories.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    What are your current stats? are you looking to drop bf% or are you looking to gain muscle?

I personally spend most of my energy on lifting and up to 25 minutes max on cardio 2x per week. when i do cardio its stairmaster or HIIT treadmills.

I'm 5'8, 152lbs, 30y/o Female, body fat percentage is 25.5% - which I would like to see lowered. So mainly I would like to lift weights to burn fat.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I'm 5'8, 152lbs, 30y/o Female, body fat percentage is 25.5% - which I would like to see lowered. So mainly I would like to lift weights to burn fat.
    Use lifting weights to maintain the muscle you have and other for other benefits. Cardio and most importantly diet will help with the fat loss.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    For women, I read that it's best to allow only 1 minute between sets/supersets (which means you'll get the benefit of an increased heart rate while doing weight lifting). Also, keep your weight workouts to no longer than 20 minutes so you don't deplete your testosterone. Do whatever cardio you like to do, just for fun, and then enjoy eating back most of those calories.

Where on earth did you get that little gem of information? Women keep their weight sessions under 20 minutes? Good lord....