Is working out early in the morning more beneficial than exercising later on in the day ?

Options
Is working out early in the morning more beneficial than exercising later on in the day ?
I mean can you burn more calories if you worked out first thing when you wake up ?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Time of day doesn't really make any difference to calorie expenditure.

The main issue is how your training fits around life.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Well, some study last year said that you can burn 10% more if you workout in the evening or late afternoon.

But as the above poster said, it really comes down to when you can fit it in. I prefer the morning, but that is because I run and don't want to die from heatstroke :D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you feel more energized and give better workout performance first thing in the morning, plus it works with your schedule, go for it. Otherwise it doesn't matter. Workout when it works for you and you feel best.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    the science doesn't back up fasted cardio burning any more fat:
    https://russhowepti.com/does-fasted-cardio-burn-more-fat/

Personally i hate running at any other time other than early morning with only a coffee inside of me.
    But I prefer lifting weights in the evening, so whatever works for you.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Many people are more likely to be consistent in their exercise if they do it first thing. If you wait until evening, life may get in the way or you may be more likely to just say, "I had a hard day. i don't want to work out." OTOH, if getting up early means you are getting a lot less sleep, then that has consequences to health and weight loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you perform better at certain times of day you might burn more calories but unless that translates to a much greater duration the calorie impact isn't likely to be that significant.

Personally any time late morning to late evening works for me but I dislike and perform worse early in the day so that's my least favoured option.

Also please keep in mind the idea isn't to increase your calorie deficit with exercise anyway, do it for health/fitness/enjoyment instead.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,082 Member
    Options
    Working out in the morning, but not too early, is best for me because there's usually less wind, so fewer waves, and my rowing shell only has about 4" of freeboard. ;)

Otherwise, it makes zero difference, except via personal preference, and via what time of day lets your energy level lead to a more or less energetic workout. Before I retired, I used to row in the evening. It made no difference to calorie burn or fitness.

Sijomial is right, though: Your maximum calorie deficit (that will keep health risks minimal) is not different when you do exercise vs. when you don't. Exercise is for fun . . . um, I mean, for fitness and health. ;)

You should plan to fuel your total activity level, both exercise and daily life activity. Your calorie deficit is a moderate amount taken off that total. MFP does that by basing your calorie goal on non-exercise activity, then asking you to log and eat back exercise. If you prefer to eat the same number of calories daily regardless of exercise, it would make more sense to use a TDEE calculator to get a calorie estimate, then set MFP manually to eat that amount.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It can be slightly more beneficial, especially if we are talking resistance training.

I forgot the study name, but it had to do with most people have more energy in the morning because of sleeping instead of possible physical activities from wok or whatnot.

Burning more calories? If that is your goal, than I don't know. I would hazard not much difference assuming you would be doing the same exercise(s).

The main thing I would care about is adherence to your goals regardless.

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    No. The time of day you work out is ultimately up to personal preference for when you feel best and when is most convenient for you.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I need to work out when I will get it done and enjoy it the most. Thats my main objective. There are studies on everything... I find myself tuning out. Eat healthy, exercise.. challenge the body and get fit...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I mean can you burn more calories if you worked out first thing when you wake up ?

No...with a caveat being when can you perform the best. You energy expenditure is going to come down to the work you're putting in. Even then, the best time to exercise is when you're going to actually do it.

I prefer getting out on my bike early in the morning. It's a great way to start the day on the right foot, and it's way to easy for life to get in the way later in the day...not to mention it's like 100* in the afternoon/evening here which can make riding kinda sucky.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Working out is beneficial- whether morning or evening is better is a rounding error.