Did you get headaches when you started dieting?

Since I've started counting calories it seems like I have had a constant dull headache. Is this just something I have to deal with because of the sudden drop in calories? Or would you think it's related to something else?

Replies

• OCTOBERLISA
    OCTOBERLISA Posts: 38 Member
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • Unless you are starving yourself by eating too little, the headache is something else. It's quite often dehydration when people are trying to lose weight, so make sure you're drinking tons of water.
  • Eirene80
    Eirene80 Posts: 36 Member
    Yes, for the first week or two when I try to lose weight. For me I think it's just my body adjusting to foods it isn't used to. It gradually gets better until one day I realize I don't have the headache anymore.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Make sure you drink A LOT of water, and don't starve yourself. I try to drink a lot of water, because I live in FL, and the air alone feels so heavy and the sun takes a lot out of me and I get headaches really easily because of it! Drink drink drink
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    If you cut back on something like caffeine, it may be a little withdrawl possibly??
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Possible culprits are not enough water, not enough food, caffeine withdrawal. Also low-carbing tends to do that. How much are you eating in carbs per day and net calories per day?
  • mararabb
    mararabb Posts: 37 Member
    Caffeine withdrawal always makes me sick as a dog. I gave up diet sodas permanently (or at least so far) last October and I think I had full blown migraines for a week. Also, if you made a drastic cut in carbs or sugar it can make you feel sluggish and run down. It does pass and you'll get to feeling better and be healthier.
  • Jerijoh
    Jerijoh Posts: 107
    When I changed my diet, I was super tired and was experiencing headaches for about 3 or 4 days..
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Good advice I'm reading here.
    I had terrible daily headaches before I changed my bad eating habits! Now I rarely get headaches.
    I did have a couple of days of low grade headaches when I cut my caffeine intake back to 1 cup a day.
    I did have mild headaches, with some aches and twinges when my body was de-toxing from other crap I quit feeding it. That was gone within 2 weeks. Sugar withdrawal does that to some people.
    I get light-headed nowadays if I get dehydrated. Hubby's doctor said "If you're peeing yellow, you're dehydrated." I try to remember to drink enough water every day.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    When you cut back, did you start drinking those sugar free drinks? I started drinking Crystal light and Mio and 2 days later my head was exploding!!!! I can't have NONE of that artificial sweetner, but that is just me personally.. I'm not going to go on a kick and say its bad for ya... I'm just saying for me personally it killed my head. I stopped drinking the stuff and my headaches disappeared.

On another note... if you aren't drinking enough water after you take your calories down, that will have an affect on some people too. Guess you just have to see what you are doing different and go from there.

Make sure you get your FIBER in! So important.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I vote dehydration, too. I sweat like a fountain so I need a lot of water to even break even.

Not to be gross, but make sure your urine isn't dark!
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    You can also get headaches if you've cut out/cut down on sweets (if you were a big candy person before).
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    It could be that you aren't used to being without caffeine as well.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    Did you suddenly stop consuming as much caffeine?
    That gives me a headache for a week. Then it goes away.

Also, oddly, I have been getting a headache b4 TOM.