Starting over....again

Options
Well, I screwed up again and am starting over....again. Life happened. Almost a month ago, my mother went into the hospital and all fitness and healthy eating went out the window. I've basically been in survival mode for the last few weeks.

I haven't counted calories and haven't been working out to the level I am used to. I did a race yesterday and saw some pictures and am angry with myself. No clue on how much I gained (refuse to step on the scale for a few days). No more. Back on the wagon today with eating well and working out to the level I'm accustomed to.

I just wish I could get out of this stupid cycle. UGH.

Replies

• Lainna21
    Lainna21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Joining the journey again too. Feel free to add me!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Life happens. Don't get mad at yourself for having priorities other than healthy eating and exercise. Learn something from it and move on. Think about what you'd like to do next time life gets crazy. Work out ways you might do that so you're prepared next time it happens. What can you do differently?

Actually, I would weigh myself now. Don't use that number to get down on yourself, but so you can see progress as it happens over the next few weeks and feel good about yourself. Today is a new day, a new start. We get that chance to do better every single day.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome back.

In my opinion, if you want to be truly accountable, get on the scale. It will help you center yourself and, once weight starts coming off, you will have a starting point to compare it to, which will give you additional motivation and discipline.
  • mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am too back on the journey of starting over. Life caught me off guard last fall and I've struggled ever since. I was down 32 pounds and gained 24 back before I got my act together again. Life has a way of knocking us off the horse when we are in full running stride. I beat myself up for months before realizing I can sit and dwell or I can take action. So here I am, in action mode. Feel free to add me! Welcome back!
  • catedifrancisco
    catedifrancisco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @runnermom419 - You GOT THIS. So many people have told me in the past, "If you want to stop starting, stop stopping." It makes all the sense in the world but like you, sometimes I get sidetracked... and sometimes I just lose my mind and before I know, 15-20 lbs came back on overnight. And like you, the moment I realize what happened I'm angry at myself. In those moments I have to show myself some grace and forgiveness because I can say some pretty awful things to myself in the mirror when no one's looking. I have to practice forgiveness because I'll hang on to that anger like it's my dang job and end up sabotaging myself. Look in the mirror, give yourself a well-deserved compliment (and mean it), tell yourself it's alright you go off track, you'll be better prepared next time life gets busy, then move on and jump right in where you left off :) You got this !!
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Welcome back.

In my opinion, if you want to be truly accountable, get on the scale. It will help you center yourself and, once weight starts coming off, you will have a starting point to compare it to, which will give you additional motivation and discipline.

I just ran a half yesterday; I retain water like crazy after big runs. All weighing will do for me is to cause me to spiral into depression. I need a few days before as I've never weighed myself right after a big run.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    life is always going to happen. very sorry to hear your mom hasn't been well...but you realize you have blamed your mother and used her for your excuse for going off the rails? let that sink in. remember you are control what you eat and make changes to your thinking so the next time life happens you don't look to use that for the excuse...
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your breath. Haters are gonna hate.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There are always trolls on any site, I think we just saw one rear it's head. Runnermom419, don't beat yourself up, you've done the right thing by jumping back on that horse. Even if life has you where you can't work out to the level you usually do/did, just eating right is a huge step in the right direction. You can do this!
  • Addictead
    Addictead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It happens, I had a few months where I stopped counting and I only gained 7 pounds, I've already lost 2 of those in a few weeks so really in the scheme of things just jump back on and you'll be back to where you were in no time at all!
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thank you to the majority that offered support instead of judgement. I was honestly thinking about giving up, again, after some of the comments I read. But, I then read the comments from most that were understanding and told me to be kind to myself. Thank you.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful to change your mindset. Don't start over just keep going from the last time. Incorporate life's deviations into your overall plan. Consider it a minor setback instead of a "screw up" and stoppage.

The reasoning here is that life will always be messy and if you never stop your plan you may have a better chance of adapting and just maintaining your weight or at least not gaining much when it happens.

Never quit. Ever.

Stop expecting perfection from yourself. It is not helpful.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    So sorry for what you have gone through. Life throws us some curves at times and we weather them the best we can. You obviously have a strong will if you are doing those races. You deserve a high five for doing that even though you were stressed and feeling a bit down over your current eating. I say focus on what you are doing right. Hope your mom is fully recovered now. Sending you a virtual hug.