Do woosh cycles get longer?

Options
OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
Do these plateau/woosh cycles get longer as you go? The last one was probably 5 weeks but I have been stuck at 202-204 since June 2nd. That's quite a good amount of time waiting to woosh down. Thanks.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Five weeks is a long time to not lose weight.

Sounds like time to buckle down and log everything accurately.

If you would open your Food page for us to take a look, we may be able to spot problems.

Food > Settings (scroll down and click "Public" and save.)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    What was your starting weight and what is your goal weight?

• shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    It certainly feels like it. I am interested if anyone has an answer for you :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am pretty standard to 3 weeks when I decide to visit scale limbo. I am in limbo now and I am expecting it to break this week. I have waited to get a new low weight for 7 before but that was due to water retention.

Whatever your cycle is you may have a secondary (or more) reason to retain water that is delaying you.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

It is extremely important that you nail down your calorie deficit and log really accurately right now because the other obvious answer is that you are eating more than you think and not losing weight currently.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

• OAS5
    Options
    I started at 272 and I'm at 202. Goal is 190. Thanks guys. I may have to change something up but this really has been working. I don't want to cut calories. I'm good what I am.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Mine is also a pretty standard 3 weeks.

I would get tighter on weighing and logging, double checking entrees, etc. Also have you started any new exercise or had any injuries that may add water gain? Have you adjusted calories consumed as your weight has dropped?
  • shunggie
    Options
    @NovusDies Thank you for that link from physiqonomics. I forgot that stress can lead to water retention and I have been under stress for almost a month straight. That's why CI/CO still has me stuck. Well, that and now TOM but still thank you.
  • OAS5
    Options
    Mine is also a pretty standard 3 weeks.

I would get tighter on weighing and logging, double checking entrees, etc. Also have you started any new exercise or had any injuries that may add water gain? Have you adjusted calories consumed as your weight has dropped?

I actually upped my calories a good while back but continued to loose weight just at a slower pace. I upped them because I'm so close. I'm not gaining any weight, I'm just stagnant. Maybe I'll bog down and cut 200 calories?
  • shunggie
    Options
    @Cavallaro65 Maybe drop 100 for a week then go another 100. Less painful that way.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    If you're frustrated about a stuck scale weight and want the immediate and false gratification of a lower number, it's as simple as going and taking a run. My experience yesterday is a case in point.

My waking weight at 6:59 am was 169.2 lbs. which was a little lower than normal but not by an amount to be concerned. I think my previous day of eating was not as carb-centric.

Went out and did a running workout around noon and it was warm/hot. Did a total running workout of about one hour. Weighed myself when I got home after I took a shower which is something I normally do because I know the scale weight is going to be low from the hard workout. I had expected maybe 166 lbs. based on prior experience. I was shocked that I weighed 162.9 lbs. which is 6.3 lbs. less than 7 hours earlier. I've never had a swing like that. It was almost the 161 lbs. I weighed for my Army physical as a 17-year old strapping later-stage teenager 47 years ago.

Drank lots of water the remainder of the day, almost couldn't get enough and, of course, ate big from the workout. Decided to see what prior to bedtime weight was given that it was so low earlier. The scale said 171.3 lbs.

This morning it was 169.4 lbs.

What's my truth. Probably 171 lbs. I've been doing lots of running getting ready for a fun-run and the scale reflects this.

My truth, and everyone else's is based on the long-term results of our disciplined, or lack of it, eating and exercising not the stuck points and occasional upticks and downticks of scale weight.

But, whenever I need a "cheap thrill" scale reading, a good run gets the job done.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I started at 272 and I'm at 202. Goal is 190. Thanks guys. I may have to change something up but this really has been working. I don't want to cut calories. I'm good what I am.

When you get close to goal, the weight loss is much harder to accomplish.

Kudos to you for your weight loss so far! ☺
  • OAS5
    Options
    If you're frustrated about a stuck scale weight and want the immediate and false gratification of a lower number, it's as simple as going and taking a run. My experience yesterday is a case in point.

My waking weight at 6:59 am was 169.2 lbs. which was a little lower than normal but not by an amount to be concerned. I think my previous day of eating was not as carb-centric.

Went out and did a running workout around noon and it was warm/hot. Did a total running workout of about one hour. Weighed myself when I got home after I took a shower which is something I normally do because I know the scale weight is going to be low from the hard workout. I had expected maybe 166 lbs. based on prior experience. I was shocked that I weighed 162.9 lbs. which is 6.3 lbs. less than 7 hours earlier. I've never had a swing like that. It was almost the 161 lbs. I weighed for my Army physical as a 17-year old strapping later-stage teenager 47 years ago.

Drank lots of water the remainder of the day, almost couldn't get enough and, of course, ate big from the workout. Decided to see what prior to bedtime weight was given that it was so low earlier. The scale said 171.3 lbs.

This morning it was 169.4 lbs.

What's my truth. Probably 171 lbs. I've been doing lots of running getting ready for a fun-run and the scale reflects this.

My truth, and everyone else's is based on the long-term results of our disciplined, or lack of it, eating and exercising not the stuck points and occasional upticks and downticks of scale weight.

But, whenever I need a "cheap thrill" scale reading, a good run gets the job done.

Yeah, I think this an answer. I haven't run or walked lately because my job is very physical especially in the summer so I figured let that do the calorie burning. Maybe add in 3-4 walks a week again.
  • OAS5
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

When you get close to goal, the weight loss is much harder to accomplish.

Kudos to you for your weight loss so far! ☺

Thank you, appreciate it. I'm happy where I am but not satisfied. We have a wedding August 24th and I really, really want to be at least 195 by then. Don't want to do anything drastic though either.