Vegetarian/Organic meal ideas

I am looking for more organic and healthy meal ideas for my vegetarian diet or even little tricks to make meals super yummy and good for weight loss. I am lactose sensitive so I prefer to use less milk, cheese, and eggs because my tummy doesn’t love them as much as me😓 any help??

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Just use organic ingredients if you want your meals to be organic. No need for special recipes or meal plans.

What does being lactose intolerant have to do with eating fewer eggs? There's no lactose in eggs.

Beans/legumes are your friend for protein (and fiber) if you are a vegetarian who doesn't eat much or any dairy or eggs.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Seitan is actually a better (better defined as higher protein) protein source than trying to use beans and legumes as your only sources.

There are tons of great recipe sites out there that a few minutes on google can turn up. I prefer Vegweb as it's been around for a while. Not affiliated, just a user.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited July 2019
    My tip for making meals super yummy - fresh herbs.

Here are 1,413 recipes that are vegetarian + dairy free. (There's no filter to exclude eggs.) https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/search/ ?f[0]=field_special_diet:138&f[1]=field_special_diet:25

Also, your library system might have a copy of "Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites" - this vegetarian cookbook has less dairy and more herbs than their first cookbook.

I like to try cookbooks before I buy so always see if I can get them from my library system first.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    My two go-tos are are nutritional yeast and silken tofu-based dressing/sauce.

Nutritonal yeast is a yummy cheese substitute for casseroles, stir fried veggies and savory oatmeal. Best of all, "nooch" is loaded with B12- which is often missing from vegetarian and vegan diets.

Throw silken tofu in a blender with some garlic powder and a bit of lemon juice and soy sauce for a protein-rich salad dressing or yummy creamy pasta or veggie sauce. A bit of tomato paste and pickle relish makes it into a thousand island substitute for salads; some ginger and siracha or curry powder makes an exellent protein boosting silly sauce for stir fried veggies.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    There is no food that is “good for weight loss.” Weight loss is 100% about consistently being in a calorie deficit, and it doesn’t matter what specific foods you eat.

It’s also hard to know what you mean by “healthy.” Do you mean foods that fit your calorie goal? Foods high in protein? High in fiber? Foods that have lots of micronutrients? Something else?
  • jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    We do a lot of stir fries and use the bags of free flow fried tofu you buy in the Asian food shops. I work on two cups of veggies per person plus tofu plus either rice or noodles if you want them. My favourite is Thai red or green curry with a little bit of lite coconut milk. You can buy teriyaki sauce, Korean/Kimchi etc for different flavours.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Can't go wrong with a Burrito Bowl.
    Rice, Beans, Cilantro, Tofu or Quorn to replace the meat, Guacamole, Salsa. No Sour Cream or Cheese since you're likely to get the "poops" hehehehe.

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    Rice, Beans, Cilantro, Tofu or Quorn to replace the meat, Guacamole, Salsa. No Sour Cream or Cheese since you're likely to get the "poops" hehehehe.

I eat some version of this every day. A bowl with one cup of grain (quinoa, rice, millet, etc), 1/2 cup beans, a mixture of raw and cooked veggies on top (a ton of veggies for me) and a drizzle of sauce of some sort. I'm currently obsessed with BBQ sauce. It's usually under 400 calories for a lot of food.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited July 2019
    tlpina82 wrote: »

I eat some version of this every day. A bowl with one cup of grain (quinoa, rice, millet, etc), 1/2 cup beans, a mixture of raw and cooked veggies on top (a ton of veggies for me) and a drizzle of sauce of some sort. I'm currently obsessed with BBQ sauce. It's usually under 400 calories for a lot of food.

These are all the “grain, green, bean” formula. It’s the basic plan of a lot of meatless meals: https://www.nomeatathlete.com/save-money-vegetarian/
    https://www.nomeatathlete.com/grain-green-and-bean/