Compliments from strangers - your opinions

Options
2»

Replies

• NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person but I say go for it.

The times it's happened to me actually made me want to push harder and it was perfect timing because one of the times I was disappointed in myself and getting so pissed lol. the most recent time I almost cried when he told me because I was so happy(don't judge me i was tired and lifting lol)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I think it would be great coming from a woman but insulting coming from a man.

As a fat woman, other women still see me as a human and will talk to me. To men, I don't exist and am not worth talking to or just to insult or laugh at with their buddies if they are young.

If I wasn't worth talking to when fat, don't bother talking to me when I am thin. Plus men seem to think they have permission to interrupt or comment on women's appearance.

I actually don't care if it is a man or woman...it is more about the tone of voice, and the word choice.

I am used to being invisible too. That is why it blew my mind when the 25 year old male trainer took notice of me when was still over 200 lbs ( at 5'2" tall). Even though I have told him several times, I don't think he really *knows* what an impact his attention had on my motivation to keep coming in to the gym. We ended up being so close that when he moved 2,000 miles away, I was one of the few people he stayed in contact with.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Be genuinely encouraging to everyone.
  • longingforcontrol
    Options
    It happened to me. I worked so hard but never anywhere else but in my house, doors closet. I got frustrated because I worked so hard and i just simply couldn´t see change (this didn´t hold me back though). I go to the same little shop since years and the a person working there (we never really talked before) stopped me and told me that I am losing weight and I look so good and how well you can regonize it. I was speechless, at this time I was still so cut off of the world that I was never talking with anyone but boy did this made me happy. She told me she lost weight too but did it differently from me and from that day she stops me every now and then now to tell me that I look good and how it goes and I tell her the same.

I have the same problem like you, I would like to say "hey you do amazing, I see you working so hard all the time" but I don´t really dare. what if they get it wrong? what if they feel bothered? however I can tell you one thing, I would love if someone did it to me. as long as it was only a compliment alone and nothing like "you really needed it or finally you did it" it must be honest and only postive and non sexual.
  • LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If it is someone who you see regularly at a gym or park, SMILE AT THEM, MAKE EYE CONTACT, NOD "Hello"! Next time you see them, SMILE and say "Good Job!" ....

I think someting along this line would be appropriate and appreciated!!!