Discriminated against for tattoos, piercings hair or weight?

Options

Replies

• FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    When I worked at Subway, I was required to cover my nose ring, and all facial piercings had to be covered. One Subway location I worked at said visible tattoos had to be covered - but I've seen plenty of other Subways where they had visible tattoos, including the second one I worked at. (These were all in the same country and province)

But when I started my co-op position for the federal government, I was surprised to see that a lot of employees have visible tattoos and piercings, and this really shocked me - I've been told this can depend on the department, but most people I've talked to about it have said that discrimination against employees for tattoos and piercings is old thinking and a way of the past, and majority of employees and employers in the government (at least in Canada) don't care.

I assume that if someone had something really offensive tattooed visibly on their body, or an extreme amount of facial piercings, that would be an issue almost everywhere you try and get hired, and that should be expected. But should someone not be hired due to it? NO - body art does not in ANY WAY represent the abilities of the individual that are required for the position, just like religion, ethnic background and sex/gender doesn't.

If I was to find out/suspect that I was turned down a position because I have a pierced nose and (currently) a visible (but tasteful) tattoo on the back on my neck, upper back and left ankle, I wouldn't want to work in such a prejudiced and up-tight work environment anyway.
  • kfavulous
    kfavulous Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    And the sign said "long haired freaky obese people need not apply"

I have visible tattoos (my wrists, the back on my leg) but I also have hidden ones (my hip, my shoulder), and I have a nose ring. I saw a job ad very recently that said they would not hire anyone with facial piercings. I submitted my resume and was definitely qualified for the job but noted that I had a small nose stud and asked if that would be a problem. The response was "no facial piercings at all." and then was told that because I wasn't willing to remove my nose ring, I was not going to be considered.

At that point, I figured I didn't want to work for a company like that anyway.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I guess I have been lucky. I have a nose piercing, and one visible tattoo (the rest are covered with clothing). Granted, The PTB were not terribly thrilled with my personal choices, but there is no policy in place that prohibits either (got both after I was hired). I am in a management position with a staff of six in an administrative/healthcare environment.

Now, would I wear a retainer in my nose and cover my wrist if it came down to it? Yeah, probably, if it came down to choosing that or my job. Fortunately, even where I live, ink and piercings are becoming more mainstream.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Will that employer miss out on some good talent? Without a doubt. But the weighing of the visual evidence of personal choice is NOT discrimination.

And you would think that people would be smart enough to make themselves as marketable as possible in a tough economy. As "amazing" as someone might think they are, and cry dsicrimition for various physical choices as such, there are dozens of others with the same caliber of talent who present themselves in ways that align with the image the employer and company want for THEIR company.

It a personal choice in how you look and the benefits and consequences of those choices are well known.
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound awful...but here goes...
    I personally feel that sometimes and NOT EVERYONE use the tattoos and piercings
    and yes even being over weight as something to hide behind.
    I have 2 beautiful grand daughters with some of all 3..and I have to say
    they use those things as BIG chips on their shoulders.

Sometimes its hard to look past the tattoos and piercings...these are great girls, both have jobs...but both have shyness issues too.

I feel the body art is a way to say...look at me. And I am only saying this in the case of my girls. We are the choices we make whether its a tattoo or piercing or being obese, we have to be responsible for it. Many of you in this thread with body art- own it - and i applaud you. But those same people that owned it also indicated that they understood that sometimes you have to keep it covered or private, especially working with the public.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I know that in my twenties I got a couple of jobs because I was the best looking of the capable candidates. They were front desk jobs for law firms and I guess they preferred to have a cute girl representing them. No one has ever rejected me for my tattoos or nose piercing. I've also never been dumb enough to go to a corporate interview with a tattoo showing. I have never had a problem hiding my tattoos or taking my piercing out to comply with a company policy. It's more important to me to have a job and support myself than it is to express myself in the workplace. I can let me freak flag fly on my own time.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why are we such an entitled and discriminating people? Why is "freedom" of choice only one-sided to so very many of us?
    People who choose to look or act a certain way, is their choice--why must their choices be shoved down our throats under the threat of lawsuit or complaint or cries of foul play if others choose to exercise their right of accepting or not accepting certain behaviors, looks and lifestyles? To me, this is a matter of freedom on the employers side...just as those of us who choose to live a certain way. To me, it is nothingless than mind-boggling how this type of "discrimination" is even questioned. If you are grown enough to choose to do what-so-ever you want with your mind and body--you should be grown enough to start your own business and make your own way in life. Why choose to be bold and creative and free in one area and entitled and demanding in the same? There are PLENTY of jobs and areas of employment that welcome tats and piercing and whatnot--why not look there?

Fear not though, our nation is FAST approaching the place where anything goes--anything and those who object will be seen as old-fashioned, bigoted and worse. Soon, in our country...this (employers having the right to say who they want working for them will be gone). So it's just going to take a wee bit more time and "lack of freedom" (that's the way I see it) will be a thing of the past. Just a matter of time. Freedom isn't free, as we as a nation shall soon enough discover, each and everyone of us!

The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it.
    John Stuart Mill

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Freedom and justice cannot be parceled out in pieces to suit political convenience. I don't believe you can stand for freedom for one group of people and deny it to others.
    Coretta Scott King

Responsibility is the price of freedom. Elbert Hubbard

May we think of freedom, not as the right to do as we please, but as the opportunity to do what is right.
    Peter Marshall

We must be willing to pay a price for freedom. H. L. Mencken

There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought.
    Charles Kingsley
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Back when I still had hair, I never cut it. I would wear it down most of the time, or in a pony tail. It always amazed me when there would be mothers with small children who would clutch their children closer when I would walk by. That doesn't happen now that I have "regular" hair. Also, I always had people treat me as if I were less intelligent. They would always be amazed when I would talk about nuclear physics, or any intellectual subject. :grumble:
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was offered a job the other day with the condition that I dye my hair a "normal" color. I wasn't there looking for a job and that particular business couldn't pay me enough to not be able to express myself through aesthetics! Besides that, the color of my hair has absolutely no impact on my competency to do a job! :explode:
  • bowlofpeaches
    bowlofpeaches Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would not hire anyone with tattoos or piercings for public facing jobs. They are a reflection of my company and having people who color on themselves and poke holes in their bodies isn't a good impression.

Sure people can express themselves anyway they like, but there are consequences.

What about someone who has been in an accident and has scars all over their face and arms? Or what about someone who has a birth defect is missing an ear? Would you not hire them because it "isn't a good impression".

Being covered in tattoos and piercings is one thing. But you shouldn't judge someone because of having some body art. Just my opinion.

You're my new Hero! Amen!~
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I get hashed on A LOT when it comes to my tattoos. I had been at places of work that have told me I have to put makeup on my tattoos on my legs to cover them up - I did that for a while then I said screw it, if someone has a problem with it then can talk to me about it. It was never mentioned again until I got a new company - I was so scared to talk to people about it, but I finally did. One said she didn't care and another said they made her uncomfortable. So who knows...

THEN...when it comes to working in the school district...tattoos and hair - need I say more? lol My hair is always has natural colors in it, but it might be in a way people wouldn't expect LOL. As for the tattoos, I just want to say screw it again. I mean the kids are like "oh that is cool" and then move on.

I have been told I have to remove one of my piercings in my ear before and I told them no lol. I only have two in each ear, that would be stupid.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    People who still discriminate against tattoos and piercings are living in the past.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I work a corporate job in Business Development. I was told that it is not company policy to police tattoos, piercings, and hair colour. The general rule of thumb was that as long as they can be covered when I go to sales meetings, then I'm fine.

I have always been discouraged from applying for bartending or waitressing jobs because of my weight. I'd be a great bartender... but because I'm fat, I just know I'd never get hired...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    What about someone who has been in an accident and has scars all over their face and arms? Or what about someone who has a birth defect is missing an ear? Would you not hire them because it "isn't a good impression".

Being covered in tattoos and piercings is one thing. But you shouldn't judge someone because of having some body art. Just my opinion.

Differnece between a choice and no choice.
    That is what equal opprunity was meant to enforce.

Again, piercings and tattoos are a choice. As much as you think people should have to accept you and not judge for your choice to have them, you have to accept there are those that do not like them and will not support people with them.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    There is a man who comes into my office sometimes looking for information. He happens to have facial tattoos and large piercings on his face. He seems like a nice enough man and I have no problem helping him unlike other people in my office. The unfortunate thing is he always smells like he hasn't showered in a month. It's nearly unbearable and that is what I have a problem with.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I used to work for the world's largest retailer's corporate headquarters for 7 years. They have a policy regarding facial peircings and exposed tattoos in the office along with unnatural hair color. At their retail locations, you will see employees with all of the above, but not in the office. I left the company earlier this year to expand my retail knowledge..

The day of my exit interview, I got my tongue pierced. Within two weeks, I was called for an interview for the company I now work for. A couple months after I started, I wore capri's and my boss (Sr. Director) noticed my very large tattoo on my calf. Her response - "You have a great artist"..

I still work in corporate, I am valued here and NOT once have I been asked to cover my tattoo up or take out my tongue ring. As a general rule of thumb, if it is a new client prospect, I choose to wear a clear plastic stud in my tongue, and slacks.. Otherwise I wear whatever tongue ring I want and wear skirts or capris frequently around the office.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Differnece between a choice and no choice.
    That is what equal opprunity was meant to enforce.

Again, piercings and tattoos are a choice. As much as you think people should have to accept you and not judge for your choice to have them, you have to accept there are those that do not like them and will not support people with them.

There's also a difference between saying, "You're a jerk for being judgmental" and saying, "There ought to be a law banning judgmental people."
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: There IS discrimination in their workplace against people who have visible tattoos and piercings. People who got these tattoos and piercings knew this going into it. They made the choice to put up with it and deal with the downsides. Nothing else matters. Just like getting one in the first place is personal choice, so is putting up with the discrimination you KNOW PERFECTLY WELL that you are going to have to put up with.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I work a corporate job in Business Development. I was told that it is not company policy to police tattoos, piercings, and hair colour. The general rule of thumb was that as long as they can be covered when I go to sales meetings, then I'm fine.

I have always been discouraged from applying for bartending or waitressing jobs because of my weight. I'd be a great bartender... but because I'm fat, I just know I'd never get hired...

If you can make a great martini, you could have a moustache for all I care. lol.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,998 Member
    Options
    I have no problems with tasteful tattoos and piercings. The elephant in the room when it comes to tattoos and piercings is a subjective mammal...

Most companies create their policies to deal with the lowest common denominator. The company would likely have no problem with a single piercing or two, a tasteful tattoo or series of tatooes but there's always going to be someone who takes policies to the Nth degree... It is far easier to simply prohibit or severely restrict tattoos and piercings than to be sued by someone who chooses to push the limits of taste and common sense...

I'm sure she has a lovely personality.

piercings.jpg