Logging Alcohol

neirin
neirin Posts: 1 Member
Hi,
How are you guys logging alcohol. When I log a glass of wine it says for example 250ml is 170 cals but only 4g of carbs. Surely as alcohol is sugar then 170cals of wine would be 42.5g of carbs?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited July 2019
    Alcohol is actually alcohol. Pure alcohol is 7 calories per gram. Generally, alcohol is listed as %volume of pure alcohol with the rest being water/other carbs/fat (depending on the drink). From what I've read on the Google, an easy way to log it is to just divide total calories by 4 to get a carbohydrate count.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    Alcohol is not sugar and is not processed like sugar in the body.

There is some good info in this article:
    https://leangains.com/the-truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle-growth/
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    The database is user entered and entries are sometimes wrong so you should always check them to a trusted source.

But alcohol is not sugar, alcohol is alcohol, which is actually the fourth macro. Also red wine isn't 100% alcohol, so you can't make the assumption that it is 100% carb.

Everything I can find online says a 5 oz glass of red wine has 4 carbs.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Alcohol is not sugar and is not processed like sugar in the body.

There is some good info in this article:
    https://leangains.com/the-truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle-growth/

Very true. My blood glucose actually drops after a glass of red wine.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    neirin wrote: »
    Hi,
    How are you guys logging alcohol. When I log a glass of wine it says for example 250ml is 170 cals but only 4g of carbs. Surely as alcohol is sugar then 170cals of wine would be 42.5g of carbs?

There IS sugar to start in alcohol. Ex: wine is made from grape juice...however, the bacteria and yeast ferment that sugar and the product of the fermentation is alcohol. So no. The sugar in alcohol is surprisingly low unless it's something like a flavored vodka or dessert wine or very high ABV beer.