Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Marathon training...3rd time's a charm.

So I've attempted training for a full marathon twice before-both ended in stress fractures...I've struggled with tibial stress fractures on and off since February 2018.

I was finally cleared by my orthopedist after almost 5 months of rest to start running again.
I'm going slow, obviously, using walk breaks...and hope to build my way up to a 5k by October.

I really REALLY want to make this marathon happen-it's on my bucket list...however, I'm terrified of getting fractures again. Any advice from those who have run marathons about avoiding injury? Some things to know:

1.) I wear GOOD shoes with insoles/inserts tailored and given to me by my physical therapist.
2.) I've been to running clinic to assess and work on stride, pace/cadence, etc.
3.) I have run long distances before (half marathons) and had gotten up to 20 miles in my long training runs before the first fracture happened.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    what does your plan your using look like or are you making up a plan?

how is your low intensity Z1/Z2 running level?

i'm a huge fan of Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 plans - the theory being 80% Z1/Z2 and 20% Z4/Z5 - the theory being that many runners to their fast runs too slow and slow runs too fast - so by slowing down, you reduce the risk of potential injury etc

i know in his 80/20 marathon book he has like a plan for ppl who tend to get injured frequently - so it has less actual running and more cross training
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member

i know in his 80/20 marathon book he has like a plan for ppl who tend to get injured frequently - so it has less actual running and more cross training

I do know I need to focus on cross training more. I also have to work on hip strength. My long run tends to be like a 10-11 min mile. Faster runs more like a 9 min mile (I think I maxed out at 8.5 min mile). I will look into Matt Fitzgerald. I had been doing Hal Higdon running programs before with some modification (if weather didn't allow for a run-moving the days around but not the distances).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    Run on dirt as much as you can. Do you have a track you can use? How about things like forest roads or canal towpaths? You might also try pool running. I have a friend with bad knees who did about half her marathon training in the pool to spare her knees before she got a knee replacement. She would do half her long run in the pool and half on the road. She did a couple of marathons that way and several HMs.

• maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Run on dirt as much as you can. Do you have a track you can use? How about things like forest roads or canal towpaths? You might also try pool running. I have a friend with bad knees who did about half her marathon training in the pool to spare her knees before she got a knee replacement. She would do half her long run in the pool and half on the road. She did a couple of marathons that way and several HMs.

Wow! That's amazing (your friend).

I had done pool running earlier this year because of (you guessed it) an injury. It did help a lot with maintaining my fitness level (cardio/endurance wise)