Is your diet changing with summer?

Options
Dorchi22
Dorchi22 Posts: 57 Member
It's that time of the year when alI I want to do is eat fruit as my breakfast, lunch and dinner, with not much else. Even if I don't, it's hard to feel compelled to eat anything at all.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I do eat a lot more fruit and vegetables in the summer because they are in season and taste a lot better, but no I still eat other things...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat more fruit in the summer because it's in season...but eat plenty of other things. I eat differently in the summer in that I'm on on the grill a lot cooking fish, burgers, chicken, etc...making tacos (real tacos) and sitting pool side, chilled summer soups, more salads, etc.

In the winter it's a lot of soups and stews and casserole type of dishes.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm usually leaning out in the summer so I eat lighter... salads, vegetables, chicken, fish, grilled foods. Right now I am not trying to lose so I am eating a bit heavier and enjoying my ice cream. I am not a huge fruit fan but I definitely eat more of it in the summer since it's more accessible.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat a much greater variety and amount of fruits and vegetables in the summer because fruits/veggies in season are cheap, tasty, and plentiful. In the winter, most fruits and vegetables are expensive and/or don't taste as good. I pay more to get better fruits and vegetables in the winter, but that invariably means I eat fewer servings.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm not changing the foods that I consume year round, but I am getting better quality of my fruits and veggies.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It's too friggin hot to eat hot food, run the oven, or put in effort to cook. All I wanna do is eat grapes and drink slushies from 7-11.

Heat aside, I also periodically go through weeks where all I can stomach is fruit and anything salty or savory is unappetizing as heck. I figure, my body is probably rebalancing some vitamins or minerals or something, and if fruit is what it wants to do that, that's fine with me. It usually passes pretty fast.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    As others are saying, better quality produce and a wider range being available. That's the biggest difference for me. I can think of certain foods my husband considers "the wrong time of year" for - like chili, beans & cornbread, or heavier soups - but I'd eat them anyway, he just doesn't cook them until Fall. We do eat more salad and I'm more likely to snack on fruit (for same reason as above).

But with air conditioning pretty much everywhere I go, I still drink hot tea and coffee and cocoa all summer long. That hasn't changed!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason, my wife and I seem to eat a lot more asian inspired dishes during the summer...I don't know why...something about sitting on the patio in the evening and watching the boys play in the pool makes it so tasty...like we're on some kind of exotic vacation or something.

Last night my wife made this really kick *kitten* Thai inspired sticky noodle and chicken dish in the instantpot...it was outstanding and perfect for an evening on the patio.

We also grill and eat a ton of fish in the summer...mostly cod and shrimp.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Less soups and stews and more salads and other dishes, but basically the same foods prepared differently. For example, I ate a taco bowl with a marinated halibut steak yesterday, in cooler months that may have made it into a curry dish.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,755 Member
    Options
    I'm still eating a lot of vegetables but a bigger variety since so much is in season. I'm eating a lot of berries too, plus watermelon when I get the chance.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For whatever reason, my wife and I seem to eat a lot more asian inspired dishes during the summer...I don't know why...something about sitting on the patio in the evening and watching the boys play in the pool makes it so tasty...like we're on some kind of exotic vacation or something.

Last night my wife made this really kick *kitten* Thai inspired sticky noodle and chicken dish in the instantpot...it was outstanding and perfect for an evening on the patio.

We also grill and eat a ton of fish in the summer...mostly cod and shrimp.

well if you can get me the recipe for that sticky noodle chicken thing that would be great lol
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Dorchi22 wrote: »
    It's that time of the year when alI I want to do is eat fruit as my breakfast, lunch and dinner, with not much else. Even if I don't, it's hard to feel compelled to eat anything at all.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yeah I mean...for me it's so hot here in the summer, rarely does making or eating a hot meal actually sound good. I eat lots of salads, veggies with hummus, fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese. I don't crave hot and hearty foods as much.

That being said I think I'm making pancakes for dinner lol
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Not much has changed; main difference is just food prep. I let cooked chicken cool down in the fridge after cooking so it's not piping hot; I did throw in some fruits in the form of preserves (really more of a reward in keeping me from cheating with heavier/kcal dense foods like almonds, pistachios, cashews, nut butters)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Mine always does -- more fruit in general, more cold soup, more smoothies for breakfast, even more salads (although I eat salad all year round), more cold meals in general. Also, more grilled foods. I'm likely to be eating whatever veg are in season instead of the ones that are best at the grocery store all year round (except in weeks when the grocery staples are also in my farm box or ready to pick in my garden). Fresh tomatoes are something I eat in more in summer (IMO, fresh and local make a huge difference with tomatoes and off season I'd rather use canned), and I pretty much only eat corn when it's fresh, local, and in season.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My carbs seem to dip about 20g per day on average. My appetite is really poor when I am hot and I have practically no cravings whatsoever. This can be annoying when the wife refuses to pick restaurants and I really have no opinion. I also won't drink a sip of alcohol until it cools down completely.

I am similar in other regards. More seasonal fruits and vegetables (mostly vegetables) and less cold weather food like stews and soups.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My garden is starting to produce in full force, so lots of fresh vegetables. I make a lot of veggies year round, but in the summer they are so plentiful it's hard not to eat them with every meal. I also make large batches of homemade pesto and eat it on chicken or shrimp or gluten free pasta. Pretty soon I will be pickling and canning. I love summer cooking!
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    During the summer I eat the fruits that are in season such as peaches, cherries, mangoes and papaya. All throughout the year, fruit accounts for 1/4 of my daily intake so its just the type of fruit that changes.
  • dkeofkfbdjsgdvfl
    dkeofkfbdjsgdvfl Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It's finally warm. So right now I don't feel like eating anything at all. I just want to curl up in the freezer. I mean look at the way too low calorie mess that is my diary.
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Our garden produces sometimes way too much that we end up giving some away. Our green beans I will eat straight from the vine while picking them. This goes for cherry tomatoes too. Last night we had roasted kohlrabi from our garden and tonight we had cabbage.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Mine always does -- more fruit in general, more cold soup, more smoothies for breakfast, even more salads (although I eat salad all year round), more cold meals in general. Also, more grilled foods. I'm likely to be eating whatever veg are in season instead of the ones that are best at the grocery store all year round (except in weeks when the grocery staples are also in my farm box or ready to pick in my garden). Fresh tomatoes are something I eat in more in summer (IMO, fresh and local make a huge difference with tomatoes and off season I'd rather use canned), and I pretty much only eat corn when it's fresh, local, and in season.

It is true.

I do find I eat more fruits/veggies in the summer, but mostly because my favorites are all in season: tomatoes, peaches, cherries, green beans, corn, watermelon, etc...