Side bends with weights

Options
tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
I see a lot of people (mostly women) doing side bends with dumbbells. I figured if so many people are doing this it must do something, but I don't think it's really doing anything. Is this exercise worth my time?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Most women do it to try improve the appearance of their sides, but it's poor for that, since exercises don't target fat loss, and the muscle layer under it isn't capable of growing much.. especially with lighter weight that's commonly used. Like situps, it's one of those things that's popular because it's popular. It's best to ignore the gym trends and follow a proven program that matches your goals. :+1:
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Most women do it to try improve the appearance of their sides, but it's poor for that, since exercises don't target fat loss, and the muscle layer under it isn't capable of growing much.. especially with lighter weight that's commonly used. Unfortunately it's one of those things that's popular because it's popular. It's best to ignore the gym trends and follow a proven program that matches your goals. :+1:

trooth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Most women do it to try improve the appearance of their sides, but it's poor for that, since exercises don't target fat loss, and the muscle layer under it isn't capable of growing much.. especially with lighter weight that's commonly used. Like situps, it's one of those things that's popular because it's popular. It's best to ignore the gym trends and follow a proven program that matches your goals. :+1:

Pretty much...

trendy doesn't mean it actually does anything...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto.

I'd bet many of them doing it also do planks, also popular because they are popular. But useful anyway.

In which case just do another one using your side.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I'd bet many of them doing it also do planks, also popular because they are popular. But useful anyway.

Planks are useful for beginners, but floor exercises like that don't simulate the dynamic nature of how our core works in the real world. Most people should eventually progress toward core exercises like suitcase carries for lateral strength, and the cable punch (or band punch) for rotational & frontal strength. Planks are way more popular than they should be.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Don't do it with a dumbbell in both hands - one hand only and then swap hands and repeat.

The idea is to be unbalanced not balanced or you are just swaying from side to side (waste of time as you say because it's not really doing anything). One hand loaded with an appropriate weight as they are strong muscles and not pink dumbbells (!) so it works your obliques to pull against the weight on the opposite side.
    Beneficial as a core exercise if done properly.

Lol I was swaying back and forth with two dumbbells.....I'll try it with one. If it doesn't seem to do much I'll abandon it altogether. Thanks everyone!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    I see a lot of people (mostly women) doing side bends with dumbbells. I figured if so many people are doing this it must do something, but I don't think it's really doing anything. Is this exercise worth my time?

Depends on your current status and goal(s).

I certainly encourage you to question why you would or wouldn't utilize a certain lift.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Don't do it with a dumbbell in both hands - one hand only and then swap hands and repeat.

The idea is to be unbalanced not balanced or you are just swaying from side to side (waste of time as you say because it's not really doing anything). One hand loaded with an appropriate weight as they are strong muscles and not pink dumbbells (!) so it works your obliques to pull against the weight on the opposite side.
    Beneficial as a core exercise if done properly.

Lol I was swaying back and forth with two dumbbells.....I'll try it with one. If it doesn't seem to do much I'll abandon it altogether. Thanks everyone!

You are far from alone in that which is why I suspected that was part of the problem if you weren't feeling anything.

The second part (far too light a weight to actually be challenging) is also sadly very common.
  • clairemulrich
    clairemulrich Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you use a roman chair and barbell plates, you can absolutely TRANSFORM your obliques with a sidebend! I'm living proof :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It may be one of the most pointless exercises ever. See above for better suggestions: suitcase carries, offset step ups, lunges, squats. Offset with kettlebells in a single arm rack position.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you use a roman chair and barbell plates, you can absolutely TRANSFORM your obliques with a sidebend! I'm living proof :)

I too use the barbell plates. I like the way feel when I hold them. I do standing oblique crunches at least once a week as an extra “add-on” to my strength training routine AND I’ve been noticing some definition happening.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    You should try them with heavy dumbbells or weight plates on a 45-degree hyperextension thing.