Cardio plateu

Options
Hi guys, I've just started losing weight and it's been a week of going gym and so far I've lost 2kg.
At 17 stone the first week my heart rate was perfectly in the hiit workout range (175bpm) however after a week I'm struggling to get my heart rate up to get into hiit range. I feel like I'm doing as much as I can yet my heart rate has adjusted and hovers around 160bpm. I also feel like I have less energy during the workout even though I eat a banana as a post-workout. Are there any tips (without having unnatural pills to boost my workout energy) and hr?

I am a newbie so take it easy.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Also, as your body gets better at the workout, your HR will not be as elevated. Eating a banana post workout has nothing to do with energy during the workout. Maybe eat it before? Or have a little caffeine?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Heart rate response during the first workouts starting a new program is pretty meaningless. Your body is not yet capable of a normal physiological response to exercise. You can’t really use it as a reference point.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Put away your HRM and do exercise suited to your fitness level would be my suggestion.
    That would mean not attempting to do HIIT and not trying to attain any particular HR numbers.

Build up your fitness slowly and progressively, build your base before trying for peaks.....