Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Effects of Sucralose on Glucose Transport and Other Parameters Inovlved in Bdoy Weight Regulation

cheryldumais
cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
I have always used artificial sweetners. I have never worried about using them... until recently. I lost alot of weight here and in the last few months have had increasing health issues. Mainly weird pain. I thought it was because of vaping which I took up to replace eating (I know I changed deck chairs on the titanic). I quit vaping a few months ago but the vague health problems continue. Someone on here made a comment about sweetners and I shrugged it off then I stopped and thought about it. I ingest large amounts of sucralose. I add it to my coffee or tea and via kool-aid drops in my daily water, I drink diet soda and I eat sugarless candy. Every day. I'm curious to see what you guys think of this study and if you feel it is accurate. Could this be my issue? I'm hoping someone with a background in science will jump in. Meanwhile I'm quitting sucralose for a few weeks to see if anything changes.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10937404.2013.842523

Replies

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Growing up, my parents put Equal in koolaid and iced tea, two primary drinks we often consumed. I remember often complaining about always being sore and tired and cranky. There was a period of time when we could not afford it so we drank a lot of water and milk. My symptoms disappeared. We could afford Equal again and I started getting symptoms again. I figured out my intolerance by accident. With aspartame, it was quick as I always got GI issues. I finally just stopped them.

Flash forward to my weight loss journey and I discovered monk fruit, stevia and SugaVida for my every day sweeteners and I have not experienced any issues. Intolerance is absolutely a possibility. Do as others suggest ... quit using them for a and see how you feel.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    My body cannot process sucralose. I break out in hives and have difficulty breathing (yes, my doctor agrees and this was after an extended extensive food study). I avoid it always, I use sugar and honey, I just monitor how much and that keeps me happy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Food sensitivities are always a possibility of course.

But I'm also wondering if you've had a doctor visit about the pain, and fairly comprehensive blood testing (including nutritional issues) recently?

I should remember how long since your weight loss, because I remember you posting about it, but I don't. Personally, I felt like some long-term issues came home to roost for me a few months after I went into maintenance. I never found out exactly why, but wondered whether the cumulative stress of weight loss was a factor. (In my case, it was nothing very major health-wise**, but otherwise unexplained; and unlike you, I hadn't materially changed what I eat, just mostly how much I eat.)

So as not to be coyly mysterious: Chronic paronychia, an annoying fingernail condition, which is still with me many moons later despite ongoing treatment; and periorificial dermatitis, a rash around my eye, which cleared up in a couple of months with treatment. These systemic kinds of things are very unusual for me . . . so much so that my oncology folks sent me for a full-torso scan, just in case. (That was all clear, thankfully.)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I think it's worth considering. I've also been having issues I recently connected with sweetener. I'm thinking it is probably a sensitivity, but I'm increasingly interested in the research on gut bacteria in general, even though it's in its infancy. At any rate, eliminating/greatly reducing artificial sweetener is a harmless experiment. I would be interested to hear how you manage it and how it goes for you. :)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    You don’t say what kind of pain. Sucralose hurts me in my whole tummy area. From my waist to the tops of my thighs. Front, back, top, bottom, but no where else. It makes me hurt bad enough to go home and go to bed. Gets a lot better overnight, but lingers 3 days, diarrhea for a week. Needless to say, I avoid sucralose. But other artificial sweeteners cause muscle aches, aggravate my fibromyalgia. When I first suspected sweeteners were the cause, I had to stay off them a long time—maybe 6 months to tell a big difference.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    You don’t say what kind of pain. Sucralose hurts me in my whole tummy area. From my waist to the tops of my thighs. Front, back, top, bottom, but no where else. It makes me hurt bad enough to go home and go to bed. Gets a lot better overnight, but lingers 3 days, diarrhea for a week. Needless to say, I avoid sucralose. But other artificial sweeteners cause muscle aches, aggravate my fibromyalgia. When I first suspected sweeteners were the cause, I had to stay off them a long time—maybe 6 months to tell a big difference.

Same here- top to bottom gastro issues, but tests have all come up OK.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2019
    The author of the review posted does have a study which likely was the inspiration for their review. Here is the study:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15287394.2018.1502560

I haven't read it yet but I do note that the last author (typically reserved for the funder or writer of the study plan) is from the department of electrical and computer engineering and the other authors are from a diagnostics CRO Avazyme (a company you would hire to run a test). So I'm guessing the last author hired the first authors to run the study.

https://www.avazyme.com

Kind of like if you sent your cereal to a lab to get tested for cyanide or something.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited August 2019
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    wmweeza wrote: »
    My body cannot process sucralose. I break out in hives and have difficulty breathing (yes, my doctor agrees and this was after an extended extensive food study). I avoid it always, I use sugar and honey, I just monitor how much and that keeps me happy.

No ones body can process sucralose...that is kind of the point of sucralose.

Just out of curiosity: seeing as our bodies are not processing sucralose and other artificial sweeteners, is it possible that the reactions and digestive discomfort that some people report from eating items containing these are actually more of an allergic reaction to the product? I also wonder how much of it is actually psychosomatic.

Sucralose doesn't bother me at all, and I've switched to Splenda in many products to get the calorie count down in my baked foods and Splenda is the best sugar substitute in baking that I've found to my personal tastes. I can remember, though, back when it first came out, trying it and feeling like my stomach was churning after eating products that contained it - it wasn't exactly an upset stomach, but more of general "I'm not sure what to think of this" kind of thing, which tended to be my typical reaction to anything I knew had an artificial sweetener in it, especially if I could taste it. Now, though, I'm using it all the time and it doesn't phase me.

I can remember when my mother used to make tea with nutrasweet, that I'd always end up with a tummy ache after drinking it. I can drink Coke Zero without a problem, but regular diet coke always gives me an upset stomach. Still, I have always wondered if its a mental reaction to the distinct taste that is triggering the discomfort or if I have a genuine mild reaction to the particular kind of sweetener.

I do know that for some people, its definitely psychosomatic. My sister, for example, claimed she didn't like any sweets made with artificial sweetener - "it just didn't taste the same as real sugar and had an after taste". However, if I didn't tell her that I had used artificial sweetener instead of sugar in the cake she was eating, she'd go on and on how she liked it - until I told her what was in it. Then the tune changed to "oh, I could taste the sweetener in this; its got an aftertaste". Funny how she only started getting the "after taste" when she found out the artificial sweetener was in it, and not before......
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Thank you!

I don't know much about artificial sweeteners, and I hear so much misinformation these days it makes me skeptical of just about everything. I have a friend who tends to buy into those trends, especially since she's into conspiracy theories and won't trust anything any sort of "establishment" says. She takes her cues from what she reads online and is often easily persuaded when its a subject she doesn't really understand. Right now she's on the idea that "Sugar is Poison" to her body because she has fatty liver disease and therefore must detox her liver........
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Thank you to everyone who commented. I think I've nailed down my issue which was major heartburn by the way. I also had foot pain at the same time which turned out to be another issue. It appears to be more individual than I realized. First stress was a minor factor then the major one is Mountain Dew Diet version. I have no idea why. Could be the caffeine? I don't know but I quit drinking just that diet soda and the problem has reduced dramatically. Weird eh?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Weird, but very believable!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Thank you to everyone who commented. I think I've nailed down my issue which was major heartburn by the way. I also had foot pain at the same time which turned out to be another issue. It appears to be more individual than I realized. First stress was a minor factor then the major one is Mountain Dew Diet version. I have no idea why. Could be the caffeine? I don't know but I quit drinking just that diet soda and the problem has reduced dramatically. Weird eh?

Could potentially be one of the dyes used in coloring Mtn Dew. Is Mtn Dew one of the most caffeinated things you drink?