Workout Recommendations?

Options
AnUnlikelySuspect
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I finally decided to try and pull my weight in because I took one look in the mirror one day and said,"Enough."
I am 280 lbs and my ideal weight would be around 190 but I am finding myself lost in the sea of information on the web.
Already I have begun doing a bit of walking, 30 minutes each day, cutting out sodas from my diet and drinking more water.
I hope to go beyond 30 minute walks into actual exercises once I get myself a little active but could anyone recommend some workouts to do for beginners that help with losing weight?
I keep seeing, do this not that, that not this, I am just not sure where to start.

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Walk... Every day... Aim for 10,000 steps a day.cheap, easy, effective.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Just find something you enjoy. A full body exercise regimen should contain some form of strength training to preserve muscle mass and some cardio for CV health.

Walking is fine for cardio, but you wish to try other exercises and see what fits best it's your lifestyle, e.g. Swimming, cycling, etc.

For strength training you could start with some bodyweight exercises such as push ups, pull ups etc. or hit the weights if you have access to a gym.
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Walking is underrated - it certainly was by myself. I bough a Fitbit one in December and tried to walk 10000 steps each day. Since December I've lost over 2 stones in weight

I've recently started to use two programs on my Ipad - Sworkit and Skimble - both do indoor cardio workouts
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    walking is my main exercise and have had great results and my diet plan is simple. No sodas and no going back for seconds or thirds.
  • saraaaas
    saraaaas Posts: 14
    Options
    Besides walking (cardio), you should also do some strength training and interval training style workouts. The strength training will tone up your muscles which will help in burning more calories while resting. The interval training is great for improving stamina. You'll be brisk walking and maybe even jogging real soon!

You could look for interval training videos on youtube. One channel i find VERY helpful is FitnessBlender. They have beginner videos. Once you're comfortable with the beginner (level one) workouts, you could move on to tougher ones. Try to push yourself every workout and aim to finish it, even if you have to pause the video and take many breaks.

For strength training, use light dumbbells and resistance exercise tubes/bands. They're easy to use!

All the best!! hope my advise was useful!

Feel free to add me as a friend and message if you need more tips! i would love to support and encourage you!
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I cannot stress enough how amazing walking is. Like pp said- push for at least 10,000 steps a day. I bought a fitbit so it vibrates once I get to my daily goal. I love it. Just keep walking. If you are home and bored and want to eat- go for a walk. No tv shows on you really wanna watch, go for a walk. You get the idea :)
    Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend. :wink:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Any!!!

Here is the link to how I started...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/graceisjinxed

It's a couple down.

Walking is a great place to start!!! I never thought I'd be a jogger on her way to runner, but I'm not starting a Couch to 5k program. I've been at this a year though so...
  • YaelCeglio
    YaelCeglio Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job cutting out soda! That's HUGE!!! I used to be a Weight Watchers leader, so walking was really important. The American Heart Association recommends everyone walk 10,000 steps per day. So I used to walk with my dog, 3k at a time. But then I needed to ramp up my weight loss. I tried Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred quite a few times, but never finished it. Then I found Les Mills Combat - it's a mixed martial arts program. I had taken other Les Mills classes at Gold's Gym and fell in love with Combat. Whatever you chose to do, make sure you have the proper nutrition to support your efforts. 30% of your journey will take place through exercise. The other 70% is made in the kitchen. Reach out to me anytime. I'm happy to help :)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    You should definitely find something you enjoy. Check out your local library, when I first started working out again last year I would check out different fitness dvds, the ones I like I would buy. Youtube has tons and tons of free workout videos.

Not trying to put down walking, many years ago when I lost a lot a weight, I started walking, which turned to running, which turned to running races, then marathons, then triathlons. I'd probably still be doing it if it weren't for my knees. Now, I love to mix things up with Turbo Fire, strength training and circuit training workouts, just finished week 2 of Focus T 25.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,991 Member
    Options
    I started with walking, then swimming, bike riding, I also like to do youtube videos fitnessbender and blogilates are a great place to start, just eat less and move more, I still walk a lot
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    congrats on getting started! Walking is the perfect place to begin. You have been doing it for years~now do it with a purpose :)

Work your way into some resistance traing using your body weight ~wall squats, pushups angled out a bit from the wall(you will get to the floor in no time), look for some used dumbells and a whole new crop of exercises become available to you.
    Look around for some Richard Simmons videos and start to sweat (he knew what he was doing and I still think they are a great place to start and aren't so hard that you doubt yourself and want to give up)
    You have already taken the hardest step...so walk on!

Wishing you great success
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely the way to go when you start out. Walk as long as you possibly can, maybe go up some hills or on the beach, etc. As for diet, start out by cutting out sodas and sugary foods as well as stop going out to eat. Then you can go from there to eating healthier. I would do a little bit of strength training as well. I love body weight exercises. There are plenty of at home fitness workouts on youtube.

Once you've lost a bit of weight, you will want to be eating at a good deficit and eating very clean. As for working out, since you'll be fitter, you can do intense strength training at a gym or at home. I also love doing High Intensity Interval Training(HIIT) on the treadmill. It is definitely a good workout and does not take a lot of time. I'm not good when it comes to patience so short workouts at a high intensity is great for me. If you are an endurance person, maybe try to train to run a 5k.
This discussion has been closed.