Best Marathon?

Options
So now that I'm allowed to run again-naturally the runner in me starts thinking about the next race and getting myself back into half and full marathon running shape.

My plan was to do the DC rock and roll marathon in 2020. This gives me PLENTY of time to slowly work my way back up to distance running. Assuming I'm in shape by fall, I also hope to do the Annapolis half marathon (Oyster classic) in November.

But I haven't paid for the race yet...so what is your favorite marathon? Is there a lottery involved? I've heard the Marine Corps Marathon is awesome but very difficult.

My sister has completed the Boston twice....I am not dumb enough to think I can get there but...just curious which ones you all like and/or recommend.

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you are located, but the Flying Pig marathon in Cincinnati is continuously named as one of the top picks for a fun race by Runner's World. It is full of crowd support and lots of fun things going on along the way. I have also run Boston twice and I would put the Flying Pig right up there with it in terms of organization, crowd support and fun. I have run the Flying Pig for time and also for fun with a friend and I will say that if you are racing it for time, you will miss out on some of the fun things that are happening along the course, but if it is your first marathon getting back into things and you want to just enjoy the experience, then I would say that it would be a perfect event for you.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i don't think Marine Corps is any more difficult than rock'n'roll - and hoenstly when i did the rock'n'roll half i was disappointed (lots of hype and not fun) - i hugely recommend MCM - i was going to be doing it for the 4th year this year but had to change plans
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    i don't think Marine Corps is any more difficult than rock'n'roll - and hoenstly when i did the rock'n'roll half i was disappointed (lots of hype and not fun) - i hugely recommend MCM - i was going to be doing it for the 4th year this year but had to change plans

Duly noted!
  • maureenseel1984
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am not sure where you are located, but the Flying Pig marathon in Cincinnati is continuously named as one of the top picks for a fun race by Runner's World. It is full of crowd support and lots of fun things going on along the way. I have also run Boston twice and I would put the Flying Pig right up there with it in terms of organization, crowd support and fun. I have run the Flying Pig for time and also for fun with a friend and I will say that if you are racing it for time, you will miss out on some of the fun things that are happening along the course, but if it is your first marathon getting back into things and you want to just enjoy the experience, then I would say that it would be a perfect event for you.

I live in Baltimore, MD so Cincinnati is a bit far :(
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    How far are you willing to travel?

I've told myself I'm doing *one* full marathon -- I prefer halfs, but wanna do a full so I can say I did one -- and I've got my eyes set on Honolulu. There's no time limit, and it looks reasonably flat, plus, I like destination races that I turn into vacations, and if I'm gonna do it, I'm going big.

I also like Pittsburgh. I do only the half here, but the full course looks about the same, with the same levels of hills. The crowd support here is wonderful.
  • maureenseel1984
    Options
    How far are you willing to travel?

I've told myself I'm doing *one* full marathon -- I prefer halfs, but wanna do a full so I can say I did one -- and I've got my eyes set on Honolulu. There's no time limit, and it looks reasonably flat, plus, I like destination races that I turn into vacations, and if I'm gonna do it, I'm going big.

I also like Pittsburgh. I do only the half here, but the full course looks about the same, with the same levels of hills. The crowd support here is wonderful.

That is a good way to look at it...if you do it once, go big or go home...
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    https://findmymarathon.com/

Choose according to your favorite criteria!
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I liked the Columbus marathon, but mostly I liked it because it was flat...no hills.
  • maureenseel1984
    Options
    https://findmymarathon.com/

Choose according to your favorite criteria!

Whooooaaa! Awesome!

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Here's how I find smaller races wherever I plan to be, when I plan to be there... https://www.runningintheusa.com Which doesn't give me a historical snapshot of the weather, or any sort of course profile, but is nonetheless very handy. Glad you like the marathon finder.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    The Hokie Half is fun if you have any connection to Virginia Tech. If not, it’s still lovely on the Huckleberry Trail. The last mile or so is a bit steep. I’m an alum, so I wanted my Hokie Bird medal :)

My first half marathon was Asheville (not the one at the Biltmore). It’s pretty flat until mile 10ish, where there’s a big hill, and then the finish is all uphill.
  • maureenseel1984
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    The Hokie Half is fun if you have any connection to Virginia Tech. If not, it’s still lovely on the Huckleberry Trail. The last mile or so is a bit steep. I’m an alum, so I wanted my Hokie Bird medal :)

My first half marathon was Asheville (not the one at the Biltmore). It’s pretty flat until mile 10ish, where there’s a big hill, and then the finish is all uphill.

Oh god I know what you mean by that last part.
    The Annapolis half is the same way. At mile 7 you go over this huge bridge...then back over it at mile 10. Brutal.
  • apullum
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Oh god I know what you mean by that last part.
    The Annapolis half is the same way. At mile 7 you go over this huge bridge...then back over it at mile 10. Brutal.

In Asheville, there was a water station at the foot of the big hill around mile 10. All of us in the back of the pack stopped, stared straight up the hill, let out a collective sigh, and started walking.

I'd love to run it again just to see how I'd handle the hill now, several years later, but I'm no longer on the East Coast. Still, that race had the prettiest swag of any race I've run. I got a free poster that's now on my office wall.

Also, it's a weekend in Asheville :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If you're in Baltimore, you might consider the B&A Trail Marathon. It's on a rail trail. Not perfectly flat, but not hilly either. It was a small race and you were almost alone for the second half, so if you need crowd support it's not great, but I enjoyed the course. I got my first BQ there. Boston is terrific if you can get there via qualification or a charity slot. I have friends who do Philly and Atlantic City every year. I enjoyed Myrtle Beach, which would be a bit of a drive for you, but motels are pretty cheap. The Virginia Beach Shamrock Marathon is supposed to be good, if the weather cooperates. I may do that one next March.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'll pitch my hometown marathon in Harrisburg, PA (not too far from you). It is a flat course along the river. Crowd support can be sparse but the ones that show up are very supportive.

Wineglass (in Corning NY) was a blast last year. I'd do it again. The course is a net downhill. Crowd support can be sparse as well.

My all time favorite is Rock n Roll San Diego. It is my favorite because, well, it's in San Diego. :D
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I live in Baltimore, MD so Cincinnati is a bit far :(

It’s abt 8hrs - I know quite a few DC folks who go to Cincinnati each year for it
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    If you can get in - big sur is supposed to be gorgeous but it has a strict time cut-off
  • apullum
    Options
    If you can get in - big sur is supposed to be gorgeous but it has a strict time cut-off

That’s my local marathon! I ran the last leg of the relay this spring. Can confirm that it is beautiful here :)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I'll pitch my hometown marathon in Harrisburg, PA (not too far from you). It is a flat course along the river. Crowd support can be sparse but the ones that show up are very supportive.

Wineglass (in Corning NY) was a blast last year. I'd do it again. The course is a net downhill. Crowd support can be sparse as well.

My all time favorite is Rock n Roll San Diego. It is my favorite because, well, it's in San Diego. :D

Echoing Wineglass. I did the half last year, so I can say at least the last 13.1 miles are fine, and the swag is awesome.
  • maureenseel1984
    Options
    I am also contemplating the Portland Marathon. Supposed to have plenty of time to complete and I LOVE Portland.