Goals Nutrition How to determine how much of each

Options
tess77h
tess77h Posts: 40 Member
I want to do a low carb diet (T2D) so where should my nutrition numbers be for carbs, fat, protein. I currently have them set at Carbs (30%) Fats (30%) and protein at (40%). My doctor had recommended keeping my carb intake to 45 g per meal (3), 15 per snack (2) but I feel this is too high to effectively lose weight. I haven't lost anything to speak of for a very long time. His recommendation was based on how much insulin I needed to use with meals.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I would go with the doctor's recommendation over some internet rando's. Carbohydrates don't have anything to do with weight loss...losing weight is about calories.

Your total grams of carbohydrates would work out to 165 which would be generally be considered low to moderate carbohydrate.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    If you are taking insulin and need to reconcile your carb level with insulin, I would think that needs to be squared away with your doctor or an RD.

Carb levels do not directly affect weight loss, calories determine that. If you aren't losing weight, you might want to double check the accuracy of your logging. Are you using a food scale for all solids? Are you verifying that the database entries you are choosing have the correct calories and carbs?

This post is really helpful regarding weight loss:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I don't feel comfortable speaking to where your macros should be, as I have no experience taking insulin. But you can lose weight with any sort of macro distribution, assuming that distribution is filling for you and keeps you feeling well so you can stick to your plan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    tess77h wrote: »
    I want to do a low carb diet (T2D) so where should my nutrition numbers be for carbs, fat, protein. I currently have them set at Carbs (30%) Fats (30%) and protein at (40%). My doctor had recommended keeping my carb intake to 45 g per meal (3), 15 per snack (2) but I feel this is too high to effectively lose weight. I haven't lost anything to speak of for a very long time. His recommendation was based on how much insulin I needed to use with meals.

For your specific medical issues, ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist.)

For not losing weight, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    It's not too high to lose, many lose with more carbs, as calories are what matter not carbs.

Given that it's about your insulin amounts, I'd talk to your doctor or ask for a referral to a dietitian if you want to do lower carb. I doubt there'd be a problem (assuming you liked it) but you might need to adjust dosage.

Re "nutrition" -- it's not about how many carbs or the percentage of fat you eat, it's really about food choice within those calories. I think sufficient protein (40% is likely overkill unless you are on super low cals), plenty of fiber, lots of vegetables, ideally some fruit, healthy fats like those in fatty fish, avocados, nuts and seeds, and olives. Stuff like that. Focusing on eating mostly nutrient dense foods, with lower nutrient/high cal foods (often high in both carbs and fat) being a lower percentage of the diet.
  • tess77h
    tess77h Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. It seems that there are conflicting opinions about carbs and weight loss. I think I will schedule an appointment with the dietician, its been a couple years since I've seen her. As for making my diary public, I may do that after a few weeks, I just got restarted here on MFP so I only have 3 days listed. And it is time for an A1c checkup so I'll talk to the doctor also. The biggest problem is sticking with it. Its so easy to give up after a bad day. The "guide to get started" link was very informative. Thank you.