Tubal ligation recovery

Options
I go in on Tuesday for Tubal Ligation. Doctor told me they make 2 small inserts and I’m good to go. I will be able to go home right after. He told me as for exercise I’m good to go the next day. I may be sore but there can be no harm done so I’m ok to resume my normal activity. Just curious to hear others experiences.

Replies

• PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Hmm...they must do things differently nowadays. I don’t have a tubal, but from things I’ve heard, you need more than a day for recovery. (I’m a birthworker who works with lots of moms.)
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think the doctor is misleading you, or he doesn't know what exercise is like.

DH had a vasectomy (for many reasons, but one reason is that the procedure and recovery were said to be significantly easier on the body than a tubal). He said mild exercise at 3+ weeks, probably 2 months+ for full exercise. His recovery was a bit longer than "average", but your groin/core is really a part of everything you do.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I don't have one but am considering that as an option in the future. Based on general things I have read, I get the impression that recovery is longer than your doctor is telling you. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/tubal-ligation
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had mine done on a Friday. I was told I would be good to go by Sunday (and able to work my bartending shift that Sunday with no weight restrictions. I can't remember anything exercise specific that was said- it was 9 years ago) but I had horrible shoulder pain from the gas. It was so bad. It was Tuesday/Wed before I felt okay. Had I not had the gas pain I think I would be feeling okay by Sunday but probably not enough to work that night.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    OOooh! I want to get my tubes tied!!!

I tend to think that it would be a good week before doing proper exercsie though - after all, you DO put your body through trauma even though it's only two little incisions.

I would say take it easy until your body tells you it's OK to properly exercise. Walking and stuff fine, but actual proper exercise? I'd take it easy.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I had an endometrial resection done in March. Basically they scrape out the inner lining of the uterus; no incisions. I was told I would feel well in 2-4 days. I did feel well enough for mild exercise like walking and light to moderate weights. The only thing was, I got tired so, so easily. For weeks. Physically I felt good, but I had to moderate what I did in a day so I could accomplish going to work and basic house chores.

So, take it at your own pace and don’t be surprised if you wear out much faster than expected. Take care!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I had mine done many, many years ago. The shoulder pain as mentioned above was so bad I didn’t want to do anything. The 2 tiny incisions hurt as much as 2 tiny cuts would. I don’t remember any hormonal problems at all. It looks like you are a runner. I definitely did not feel good enough to run for about a week until the back and shoulder pain was better.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I had a tubal ligation 43 years ago when the procedure was not so advanced as it is today. Back then it was an in-hospital procedure and I stayed overnight. The umbilical incision was a little sore but not too bad, but the gas pain was the worse. For what I remember (it was a long time ago), the nurse brought me a heating pad to help eliminate the gas and the pain, but I don't remember if I got any med. However, they recommended staying away from foods that cause bloating and more gas, for several days.

I didn't have any hormonal problem after the procedure and my periods were normal until menopause (actually a hysterectomy). Not having to worry about birth control or a possible pregnancy was a big relief.

I was not a heavy exerciser back then, and I had the procedure done during the summer when I was on vacation from the Uni., but I had no problems doing my housework, taking care of my children, walking or gardening. I did take it easy for a few days and started my normal activities a little bit at the time, as recommended by the GYN.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I had mine done laparoscopically, so not exercise for me for a couple weeks. Activity like walking was fine and encouraged. Hormones were fine.
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Did he said you'd be good for exercise "or for normal stuff". "Normal" doesn't necessarily include exercise. For example, usually they don't want you swimming for a couple of days (no immersion of wound) and things that bounce could be uncomfortable, cause bleeding.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    kmfeig87 wrote: »
    Did he said you'd be good for exercise "or for normal stuff". "Normal" doesn't necessarily include exercise. For example, usually they don't want you swimming for a couple of days (no immersion of wound) and things that bounce could be uncomfortable, cause bleeding.
    Yes, I asked about lifting weights and spinning and he said I would be fine, I of course will wait a few days regardless my gut just tells me I won’t feel right.

• Pricklypineapple422
    Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, and everyone's recovery is different. I would expect a longer recovery than your doctor mentioned, but would take it day by day. If you can exercise after a few days, great! If it's a few weeks, that's okay too.

I was cleared to exercise as soon as I felt up to it after childbirth. I was walking on a treadmill on day 2 and running within a week and a half. This was definitely not the norm for most women, but it felt right for my body. I would just expect to be off longer and go with what your body is telling you. Good luck!
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I’m going to bookmark this so that I can follow your story and hear others’ stories. When it comes to my birthwork and the birth world, I’m always learning!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    No advice on the procedure or recovery itself since mine was done at the same time as my C-section, but regarding hormones and whatnot, my n=1 has been all good. No noticeable negative effects and my cycles are more regular now 15 years later than they were in my 20s when I had it done. I still have very clear ovulation symptoms and signs, just don't have to worry about pregnancy. No increase in bleeding or other issues.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    I’ve been doing some more research and now I’m really second guessing having this done. With both my children I had severe post partum and it took forever to feel back to normal. My doctor said that this would not effect my hormones but after reading many women have PTLS and this scares the crap out of me!

interesting - I hadn't heard of this. Part of the reason why I want to get my tubes tied is because I can't with hormonal birth control so I use the old school copper IUD, which means bleeding like a stuck pig every month. Normally I'm a light bleeder, but with IUD it's full Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

This is the same issue and I have and a big part of the reason I am considering surgical intervention.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    I’ve been doing some more research and now I’m really second guessing having this done. With both my children I had severe post partum and it took forever to feel back to normal. My doctor said that this would not effect my hormones but after reading many women have PTLS and this scares the crap out of me!

interesting - I hadn't heard of this. Part of the reason why I want to get my tubes tied is because I can't with hormonal birth control so I use the old school copper IUD, which means bleeding like a stuck pig every month. Normally I'm a light bleeder, but with IUD it's full Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

This is the same issue and I have and a big part of the reason I am considering surgical intervention.

That's why I had mine done. At 25 I had a lot of fertile years ahead with medical indications that made future pregnancies not a great idea. We called it at 2 and I consider myself lucky to have them.

ETA most of the time :lol::wink:
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    When I had mine done. I was told no lifting for 2 weeks. I did some walking a few days after the procedure but nothing too strenous