Trying to become a morning exerciser

Options
2»

Replies

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to start it, but once you get into the swing of things, it gets better. I just love the feeling of getting it out of the way...it gives you a feeling of accomplishment. I gotta have coffee though. I usually eat a half a protein bar, too, because I'm hungry in the AM.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I find my motivation comes from knowing the comedy that's awaits me. Me and the mastiff X have an understanding. I understand that he thinks 5.30am is too early, he understands that I don't care, he understands that he's extremely heavy, I understand that I'm pretty strong. He loves it once he's up, but getting that dog off the sofa is a workout in itself! Puts a grin on my face every time... which, come to think of it, is probably why he still does it.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm not a natural morning person, but I've been doing my rides this summer in the AM. My wife's alarm goes of at 5:15...she's pretty good about getting up right away and gearing up and hitting the road...me, not so much. I usually lay in bed until around 5:30 and then get up. We have two young kids at home, so she heads out first around 5:40...I start gearing up at 5:30 and get my morning coffee and go out on the patio to shake off the cobwebs...I need about 30 minutes and a couple cups of coffee.

I'm usually out the door around 6:10 and we have a short period or crossover where the kids are home alone sleeping. I've been keeping my rides to 10 miles which takes me about 35 minutes and I do my longer rides on the weekends.

It's just way too hot here to ride in the afternoon/evening...plus it's easier to shrug it off until tomorrow after a long day of work. Getting it done in the morning has the added bonus of just getting it done and going about my day.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm too a natural morning person but some days are still hard. I get up by 3:45am to meet my running partner by 5:00am. The in between time is spent walking the dog, unloading the dishwasher, packing a lunch bag, having coffee and the necessary bodily functions. I do sleep a bit later on weekends but our long runs usually start by 6:00 so not much later. Coffee is a MUST.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Over time, getting up early to go workout will get easier. After you're used to it, one of the perks on non-workout days is you're up long before everyone else in your household so you can enjoy your coffee, tea, or whatever, in silence and ease into the day. I'm NOT a morning person but I love the quiet on Sundays when I wake up an hour ahead of the chaos. :)
    Bonus tip*** when the tie comes for the Daylight Savings time change and when it "falls back", instead of sleeping in an extra hour, get up and go workout. You can always nap later to catch up, but you can use it as a jump start getting up a bit earlier. B)