Another reason to lose weight - waking myself up by snoring

Options
hixa30
hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
So I just tried to have an afternoon nap, maybe I just wasn't tired enough, and there might be something wrong with my breathing, because I woke myself up maybe 4 times. Do you have that problem? It seems to come and go, maybe months without it happening then it happens a lot over a few weeks. Also, sleeping with a partner and waking them up is not ideal, plus sleeping with a mega-snoorer is awful. What's your snoring situation?

Replies

  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,708 Member
    Options
    This will happen to me when I'm really tired. I've been told I'm a quiet snorer but man am I loud when I wake myself up!
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Maybe sleep apnea? If it happens often you should see your doctor.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Maybe sleep apnea? If it happens often you should see your doctor.

    That would be my suggestion, too.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sleep apnea is potentially life threatening so, yes, please get checked out.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    After losing 30 lbs, my snoring stopped. It was an unexpected but welcome side-effect.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    My boyfriend snores when he’s had alcohol or is tired...but lately it’s getting worse and happening constantly. He didn’t believe me so I recorded it one night every time it woke me and He was mortified....it’s killing my sleep by waking me 10-20 times during the night. I’m so cranky and exhausted. HELP! I might kill him
  • LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    After losing 30 lbs, my snoring stopped. It was an unexpected but welcome side-effect.

    This was me too. I also happened to be tracking my sleep with my Fitbit and it was interesting to see when my sleep started improving, which was almost exactly 2 weeks after I went cold turkey (if you'll excuse the expression) on processed food.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    lg013 wrote: »
    My boyfriend snores when he’s had alcohol or is tired...but lately it’s getting worse and happening constantly. He didn’t believe me so I recorded it one night every time it woke me and He was mortified....it’s killing my sleep by waking me 10-20 times during the night. I’m so cranky and exhausted. HELP! I might kill him

    My ex would wake me up when I snored. Initially I would be annoyed at her, but I decided fair enough, I'm waking her up, she can wake me up as well. I kept track of how often she woke me up and it reduced as I lost weight.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    hixa30 wrote: »
    lg013 wrote: »
    My boyfriend snores when he’s had alcohol or is tired...but lately it’s getting worse and happening constantly. He didn’t believe me so I recorded it one night every time it woke me and He was mortified....it’s killing my sleep by waking me 10-20 times during the night. I’m so cranky and exhausted. HELP! I might kill him

    My ex would wake me up when I snored. Initially I would be annoyed at her, but I decided fair enough, I'm waking her up, she can wake me up as well. I kept track of how often she woke me up and it reduced as I lost weight.

    He’s at a BMI of 21 right now, so losing weight probably won’t help and isn’t something he can really do. I do wake him up, but then we both don’t sleep. Problem is I need to get up at 5 am for work and work long days—and I have an autoimmune disorder—so it’s really impacting me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    lg013 wrote: »
    hixa30 wrote: »
    lg013 wrote: »
    My boyfriend snores when he’s had alcohol or is tired...but lately it’s getting worse and happening constantly. He didn’t believe me so I recorded it one night every time it woke me and He was mortified....it’s killing my sleep by waking me 10-20 times during the night. I’m so cranky and exhausted. HELP! I might kill him

    My ex would wake me up when I snored. Initially I would be annoyed at her, but I decided fair enough, I'm waking her up, she can wake me up as well. I kept track of how often she woke me up and it reduced as I lost weight.

    He’s at a BMI of 21 right now, so losing weight probably won’t help and isn’t something he can really do. I do wake him up, but then we both don’t sleep. Problem is I need to get up at 5 am for work and work long days—and I have an autoimmune disorder—so it’s really impacting me.

    If he hasn't had one, a sleep study would be a good thing.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I snore less as I lose weight. I spoke with an RT one day about it, and she did mention that losing weight is harder when sleep quality is poor. She suggested seeing my dentist for a night splint that should help with the sleep apnea (I have had this diagnosed and mine is mild and related to position, so, for me, it's manageable with lifestyle changes).

    Get it checked out and look into treatment options. Depending on how bad it is, you might not need a CPAP machine. Certainly worth working with your doctor.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I snore less as I lose weight. I spoke with an RT one day about it, and she did mention that losing weight is harder when sleep quality is poor. She suggested seeing my dentist for a night splint that should help with the sleep apnea (I have had this diagnosed and mine is mild and related to position, so, for me, it's manageable with lifestyle changes).

    Get it checked out and look into treatment options. Depending on how bad it is, you might not need a CPAP machine. Certainly worth working with your doctor.

    Thanks! This was helpful!
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I just found out about the app snorelab which monitors snoring overnight and gives an analysis after you wake up.